Symantec Norton Ghost 14.0
- Well-designed utility, very little drain on your system
- Using an external USB 2.0 drive may cause some problems
Norton Ghost 14.0 is a mature product for the thankless task of safeguarding data against the unthinkable event of hard disk failure, theft or virus havoc. Being able to return to restore points additionally assists recovery from accidental deletion and loss of files. Its interface is good, although with the number and breadth of features available, you'll need to spend some time getting to know everything it can do to get the best from Ghost.
Price$ 99.99 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- Graham Norton's Own Sauvignon Blanc 2015 (per c... 227.88
Backing up data – whether a selection of important files or an entire hard drive – remains an important chore in order to safeguard irreplaceable information.
With a well-designed utility the process should be less of a burden, for example by automatically backing up in the background with little drain on system resources. This is just one of the benefits of the latest version of Norton Ghost, a complete solution for the task of preserving your data against loss.
Norton Ghost 14.0's core use is to make full system backups, for example to a disk image which can be used to restore an entire PC; or incremental backups, to update only those files that have changed.
New features added since the previous Ghost 12.0 (Norton is obviously not tempting fate by releasing Norton Ghost 13.0... ) include FTP backup, Google Desktop integration and Symantec ThreatCon integration, the latter designed to have additional automatic backups triggered by a cue from Symantec's malware intelligence-gathering resource.
We used an external USB drive and Norton Ghost 14.0 to back up the contents of a Hi-Grade notebook running Windows Vista Ultimate, and found the software worked mostly as advertised.
Norton Ghost 14.0 could make a complete backup of the drive, as well as perform incremental backups either by schedule or on demand. Using an external USB 2.0 drive did present a problem, as Norton Ghost 14.0 would not always allow the drive to be safely ejected, even when the program was closed.
Also, on occasion when the USB drive was connected with Norton Ghost 14.0 running, it would ask if it could be used as new backup destination, even though it was already configured as the primary backup drive.
Another Norton Ghost 14.0 feature we tested was LightsOut Restore, which creates an extra bootable system on the PC's C drive.
After setting up, an option is added during booting and after the BIOS screen, to allow you to boot from the Symantec Disk Recovery (SDR) installation and thereafter restore the entire disk from a recent backup.
In our tests, Norton Ghost 14.0 did not show the connected USB drive containing the backups, which rather defeated the object of this feature.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Turnbull touts UNSW’s quantum capability as “world’s best”
- Microsoft Translator now translates text from images, increases language support
- Chrome turns 50 and stands at a crossroads
- YouTube dives into VR, live-streaming with 360 video
- Netflix stops insisting it will never support offline videos
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- CCITIL Environment, Configuration, Release Manager- Banking/GovtNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - master data managementACT
- CCNV2 - System Administration / Application SupportACT
- CCWeb Content Developer- Angular, PHP, interface backgroundNSW
- CCBusiness Data AnalystVIC
- FTGentrack ConsultantVIC
- CCSolutions Architect - Network and InfrastructureNSW
- FTSolution Architect (Guidewire Billing Center)NSW
- CCFront End DeveloperVIC
- FTGraduate IT Administration SupportVIC
- CCSenior Agile Business AnalystVIC
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCDigital Producer (Part Time 3 Days Per Week)NSW
- CCSenior ICT Project OfficerACT
- CCOperational Team LeadVIC
- CCProduct SpecialistVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle/Unix) 160509/AP/395Asia
- CCScrum MasterNSW
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Prince2 & PMBoK shop | Huge project pipelineACT
- FTSolution Delivery Manager ( RTTM)NSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - HealthcareVIC
- CCContract Contract Junior Programmer (JUD-16493-4)Asia
- FTSecurity Accreditation - IT Security AnalystACT
- CCBusiness Analyst, Loyalty projectsNSW