Symantec Norton Ghost 15
Some of the new features in Symantec Norton Ghost 15 are of interest only to business IT managers, while others will appeal to consumers
- Now makes images from boot disc, tonnes of features
- Slow boot disc requires 1GB of memory, must enter serial number to image from boot disc
Symantec's exceedingly powerful disk-imaging and backup program has a few usability annoyances.
Price$ 79.99 (AUD)
The update of Symantec Norton Ghost 15 substantially improves one of the most capable disk-imaging programs on the market.
Some of the new features in Symantec Norton Ghost 15 are of interest only to business IT managers, while others will appeal to consumers. And all of the enhancements make this a powerful tool for anyone serious about backup and recovery.
For the average user, Windows 7 support, Blu-ray disc burning, and a feature Symantec has dubbed "cold imaging" are the most intriguing new features in Symantec Norton Ghost 15.
Though most imaging products have offered cold imaging - the ability to create a backup image using the recovery CD - for years, it's certainly a welcome addition to Symantec Norton Ghost 15. (We've complained for ages about the feature's absence from Ghost and other Symantec imaging products.)
Symantec Norton Ghost 15's version of the feature, which copies only entire partitions, performed quickly and perfectly in our tests. A notable annoyance: you must enter the program serial number each time you use the feature. Recovery doesn't require a serial number.
The only real drawbacks with Symantec Norton Ghost 15 relate to using the Windows Preinstallation Environment (PE)-based recovery CD. It's slow to boot, but more significantly it requires 1GB of RAM. While that may not seem like a lot these days, plenty of PCs top out at 512MB or less.
Unfortunately, the recovery CD has severe limitations, too. Once upon a time, in lieu of creating an image, Norton's recovery CDs offered a file browser that allowed copying at the file level. The browser is still there, but all file functions have been disabled. We wish Symantec would reinstate the file functions and stop assuming the worst of its users, who deserve to be treated as valued customers and not pirates.
IT managers in small and medium-size businesses will appreciate Symantec Norton Ghost 15's ability to schedule conversion of images to VMware ESX 3.5i/4.0i and 3.5/4.0 virtual machine format. The new version also offers support for Microsoft's Hyper-V virtual server format.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Mozilla Firefox update fixes several vulnerabilities
- Like Chromebooks, thumb-size PCs will bloom
- Windows Phone can now work on smartphones with Intel x86 chips
- Dell's OS10 aims to open up networks, then whole datacentres
- iOS 9.2.1 and OS X 10.11.3 are now available
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- FTInfrastructure Project Manager - NV1 clearance mandatoryNSW
- CCSenior PMO Analyst / PMO LeadVIC
- FTFull Stack & Mobile EngineersNSW
- FTNetwork Engineer | NV2 clearance | Military jets, subs, bases and networksACT
- CCSenior Agile Business Analyst - Online/Mobile experienceNSW
- CCRisk AnalystVIC
- CCProject AdvisorNSW
- CCBusiness Process Analyst - Supply ChainVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - Scrum/Pega SystemsNSW
- FTProject Manager | Defence projects | NV1/NV2 cleared | Canberra basedACT
- CCHybris Developer - Global ConsultancyNSW
- FTWintel EngineerACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst - NPPVIC
- FTProject Support OfficerWA
- CCContract System Analyst (Website/PHP development) 160122/SA/vmtAsia
- CCSenior Information Security SpecialistNSW
- FTInsight / Customer / modelling - Analyst (Data Scientist)NSW
- CCProducts and Markets Business AnalystNSW
- CCMVC .Net Developer- Hurstville NSW 2220NSW
- CCWindows System Admin, Administrator, Technical SupportNSW
- CCSenior Identity ManagerVIC
- FT.NET Tech LeadVIC
- CCImplementation ManagerVIC