Symantec Norton SystemWorks 2006 Basic Edition
- Robust protection, User Interface
- None to speak of
We liked the idea of being able to buy a cheaper package that gives you all the useful tools found in SystemWorks without forcing you to opt for Norton AntiVirus. There are lots of other virus protection suites on the market, some of which cost nothing. However, it's a good idea to opt for a package such as this that fills in the gaps left by free products.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
SystemWorks 2006 Basic Edition is the latest addition to Norton's suite of utilities. Despite the 'Basic' tag, it's aimed at more experienced PC users - those who already have some protection but want to beef it up a bit. No antivirus software is included.
Instead, you get four robust protection and optimisation apps: Norton Utilities, Norton GoBack, CheckIt Diagnostics and System Optimizer. These will help you to diagnose and fix problems, restore your PC to a trouble-free state - should disaster strike - and ensure you are getting the best possible performance from your PC.
When you first install the software it automatically scans your PC for any issues. A pop-up window in the Toolbar will warn you if it finds anything nasty. You can then choose to fix the problem at the click of a button or find out more about the situation before initiating a quick fix.
Testing the software on even a brand-new PC threw up a huge amount of Internet-related clutter. The PC had been in use for only a couple of weeks and was already playing host to thousands of superfluous files. Thankfully, the Norton Cleanup function was able to detect and wipe them.
The more you've used the PC, the greater the number of problems the software is likely to find. This will increase the time it takes to complete its work. It's like clearing a messy desk: the less often it's tidied, the longer it takes.
This software will keep on tidying up in the background. You can schedule your PC for regular, automatic scans and then forget about it until a problem crops up.
From the pop-up window, clicking on the Home link will bring up the SystemWorks main interface, providing access to the tool suite. Clicking on any of the buttons on the left takes you to the controls for each tool, allowing you to configure each one. From here you can use any of the utilities to speed up performance and fix problems, recover files and folders using GoBack, configure Cleanup options and check for any problems.
SystemWorks 2006 Basic Edition doesn't come with antivirus protection, so you'll need to look elsewhere to keep your PC free from bugs. Of course, you could always shell out extra for the full version, which includes Norton AntiVirus.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- 10 powerful, obscure Windows keyboard shortcuts you should know
- Microsoft delays tools for third-party Cortana integrations
- Samsung unveils Bixby voice assistant for upcoming Galaxy S8
- Pwn2Own hacking contest ends with two virtual machine escapes
- It's time to turn on HTTPS: the benefits are well worth the effort
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- CCProject AdministratorNSW
- FTHadoop Service AdministratorNSW
- FTSalesforce Senior Developer | Solution DesignerQLD
- FTTechnical Solutions ArchitectWA
- FTInfrastructure Analyst - Storage & Backup SystemsNSW
- CCIT Business Analyst - UX DesignNSW
- CCSenior Solution ArchitectNSW
- TPJunior Business AnalystQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- TPSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTICT Security AnalystQLD
- CCApplication PackagerNSW
- FTRACF Mainframe Security Analysts / Engineers - Multiple Roles - SydneyNSW
- CCBig Data Developer - Government - 12 Month Contract - SydneyNSW
- FTSCOM AdministratorACT
- TPTeam Leader Project And Quality AssuranceVIC
- CCProduct Design AnalystNSW
- FTNetwork Security AnalystNSW
- FTImplementation LeadVIC
- FTJunior DevOps Developer - TelcoVIC
- TPAutomation Test AnalystsQLD
- FTApplication Support Consultant (Oracle SQL, Unix scripting)NSW
- FTTechnical Consultant - ApplicationsSA
- CCWeb Data Entry PublisherACT