Symantec Norton SystemWorks 2006 Basic Edition
- Robust protection, User Interface
- None to speak of
We liked the idea of being able to buy a cheaper package that gives you all the useful tools found in SystemWorks without forcing you to opt for Norton AntiVirus. There are lots of other virus protection suites on the market, some of which cost nothing. However, it's a good idea to opt for a package such as this that fills in the gaps left by free products.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
SystemWorks 2006 Basic Edition is the latest addition to Norton's suite of utilities. Despite the 'Basic' tag, it's aimed at more experienced PC users - those who already have some protection but want to beef it up a bit. No antivirus software is included.
Instead, you get four robust protection and optimisation apps: Norton Utilities, Norton GoBack, CheckIt Diagnostics and System Optimizer. These will help you to diagnose and fix problems, restore your PC to a trouble-free state - should disaster strike - and ensure you are getting the best possible performance from your PC.
When you first install the software it automatically scans your PC for any issues. A pop-up window in the Toolbar will warn you if it finds anything nasty. You can then choose to fix the problem at the click of a button or find out more about the situation before initiating a quick fix.
Testing the software on even a brand-new PC threw up a huge amount of Internet-related clutter. The PC had been in use for only a couple of weeks and was already playing host to thousands of superfluous files. Thankfully, the Norton Cleanup function was able to detect and wipe them.
The more you've used the PC, the greater the number of problems the software is likely to find. This will increase the time it takes to complete its work. It's like clearing a messy desk: the less often it's tidied, the longer it takes.
This software will keep on tidying up in the background. You can schedule your PC for regular, automatic scans and then forget about it until a problem crops up.
From the pop-up window, clicking on the Home link will bring up the SystemWorks main interface, providing access to the tool suite. Clicking on any of the buttons on the left takes you to the controls for each tool, allowing you to configure each one. From here you can use any of the utilities to speed up performance and fix problems, recover files and folders using GoBack, configure Cleanup options and check for any problems.
SystemWorks 2006 Basic Edition doesn't come with antivirus protection, so you'll need to look elsewhere to keep your PC free from bugs. Of course, you could always shell out extra for the full version, which includes Norton AntiVirus.
Join the PC World newsletter!
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 5 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Village Roadshow aims to block 40 pirate sites
- Analysts peer into Microsoft's rumored Windows 10 Cloud
- Google lets users get social with Maps
- Microsoft unveils a bonanza of security capabilities
- Google might be gearing up to remove millions of Play Store apps next month
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTFull Stack DeveloperQLD
- FTLead PMONSW
- FTSenior Functional Consultant - Data Analytics - TelcoVIC
- TPDigital Strategist - Newcastle BasedNSW
- FTERP ConsultantQLD
- CCNetIQ Development & SupportNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)QLD
- CCLevel 2 IT Service Desk OfficerQLD
- TPICT Project CoordinatorQLD
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- CCNetwork Specialist - IPAM TelcoVIC
- CCSenior Technical SpecialistNSW
- CCProject Specialist l Large Media Capital Investment ProgramNSW
- TPLinux Desktop Support SpecialistWA
- TPHRIS Business AnalystQLD
- FTSenior C++ EngineerACT
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- TPIT Project Manager - Office relocationVIC
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectWA
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - Wealth AdviceNSW
- TPBI Commercial AnalystVIC
- CCProject Support OfficerNSW
- CCFirewall EngineerNSW
- CCNetwork ArchitectWA