Synology DiskStation DS112 NAS device (user review three)
Our third and final Synology DS112 user review shows how this NAS device can be used in schools
- Good solution for transferring work to and from iPads
- None evident
For a school environment like ours, the Synology DS112 NAS device is perfect as it allows us to supply the kids with an easy and secure solution for getting data on and off their iPads.
Price$ 219.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- FREE SHIPPING - TerraMaster F4-NAS Home NAS Dev... 468.00
In this review, we examine how the Synology DS112 network attached storage (NAS) device can be used within a school environment to provide an easy-to-use file structure on iPads.
At our school, we adpoted a 1:1 iPad program for our year four students. However, we soon found ourselves looking for a solution to the lack of a file structure on those iPads.
Moving photos around was a big problem, work was being emailed out to students and returned by email for assessment. Everything seemed to require a two- or three-stage process.
We needed a simpler solution to the storage and transfer of work to and from iPads — we needed a file structure. We trialled a few options like Dropbox and the like, but it wasn’t until we tried the Synology DS112 unit that we found an answer to almost all of our problems.
Many apps have a WebDAV option that allows students to save work directly to our unit, where we can assess it, and photos go straight to or from the camera roll. The unit also allows us to control who has access to each folder.
The simplicity of the structure means that the year four students can use the unit within minutes of the free apps being installed. Seeing a file structure on an iPad for the first time is a bit odd, but you’ll soon be using for just about everything.
The screenshots below show how the students are using the DS112 to store and access data through their iPads.
Note: we recently conducted a Synology competition in which users had to tell us how winning a Synology NAS device would increase their office productivity. The winners of these NAS devices (including the author of this user review) kindly agreed to review these devices to further illustrate how they will be using them for their day-to-day work.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 2 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 3 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- WD's new external drive is the first self-contained, fully portable Plex media server
- AMD gets into SSDs with value Radeon R3 drives. But US only for now.
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
- Intel claims storage supremacy with swift 3D XPoint Optane drives, 1-petabyte 3D NAND
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160620/AP/623Asia
- CCWeb Developer (Drupal)SA
- CCTibco DeveloperWA
- CCSenior Developer - AWS Cloud HSMNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Clinical SystemsSA
- CCSharepoint Developer | Air Force project | NV1 clearanceNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/Oracle) 160603/AP/vmpAsia
- CCBiztalk developerNSW
- CCOffice 365 Project ManagerNSW
- CCNational Project CoordinatorNSW
- CCMicrosoft .NET Developer (Server and Applications)SA
- CCMobility Developer (iOS or Android)NSW
- CCSolution Architect / Designer - Cyber SecurityNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst/Data Analyst Capability ManagerVIC
- CCImplementation ManagerNSW
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- FTTechnical Services ManagerACT
- CCEnvironment Manager - POSVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/ SQL/Web) 160708/AP/352Asia
- CCIT Finance Systems Process AnalystNSW
- CCPMO AnalystVIC
- CCContract IT Assistant (IT Security/IT Audit) 160621/ITA/361Asia
- CCProject Master SchedulerVIC
- CCETL Developer - Tableau FocusNSW
- FTInfrastructure/Solution ArchitectNSW