Synology DiskStation DS211+ NAS device
Synology's DiskStation DS211+ is a fast but pricey 2-bay NAS box that's loaded with features and useful software.
- Lots of features
The Synology DiskStation DS211+ is a fast NAS box with a vast array of features, but it's pricey, retailing for around $435.
Price$ 435.00 (AUD)
The two-bay Synology DiskStation DS211+ is as feature-packed as two-bay NAS enclosures come. Not only is the box fast, but its easy-to-use DiskStation Manager 3.1 software provides tons of Secure FTP and HTTP, a variety of media-serving features, rsync backup to other NAS boxes, iSCSI, video surveillance, and a whole lot more.
Although the unit itself is attractive, the Synology DiskStation DS211+'s drive bays have a slightly cheap feel. The pop-off faceplate that facilitates access to the drives is clever as well as handy, but the plastic trays and locking mechanisms seem a bit penny-pinching for a box this pricey. So does the lack of a second ethernet port for failover and increasing available bandwidth.
The company's DiskStation Manager 3.1 software offers an interface that is like running Linux within a Window. You can open, close, drag, and stack windows--all within your Web browser. The multiple views and windows make it much easier to get a handle on file operations and the contents of the Synology DiskStation DS211+ drive. And it's just plain cool.
I tested the Synology DiskStation DS211+ with both a 3TB and 2TB drive installed. The unit averaged approximately 44 MBps writing data to its drives, and about 62 MBps reading on my gigabit network. That's a good performance, but a tad slower writing than the Synology DS411slim, though 4MBps faster reading.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- WD's new external drive is the first self-contained, fully portable Plex media server
- AMD gets into SSDs with value Radeon R3 drives. But US only for now.
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
- Intel claims storage supremacy with swift 3D XPoint Optane drives, 1-petabyte 3D NAND
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCData Integration specialistACT
- CCSenior PHP Developer (12 month contract )VIC
- CCCRM DeveloperACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Linux/MySQL) 1600803/SA/255Asia
- CC.NET DeveloperQLD
- FTOPEN_ASAP_Configuration ManagerACT
- CCeLearning Developer / Learning Management System AdministratorACT
- FTService Desk ManagerNSW
- CCUX / UI Visual DesignerNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerACT
- CCChange CoordinatorNSW
- FTSAP ESB Service Management SpecialistVIC
- CCNetwork Engineer - NV2 ClearanceVIC
- FTPortfolio Governance AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Process Analyst - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTSenior Manager (Business Data Management)NSW
- CCTechnical Specialist - EUCNSW
- CCSenior Tester - Automation / Telecommunications (Urgent)NSW
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- CCAgile Scrum MasterACT
- FTJDE DeveloperVIC
- CCBusiness Intelligence Developer - Initial 3mth ContractVIC
- CCDirector - Technical Upgrade Program- Data migration, InfraNSW
- FTContinuous delivery application deployment automation specialist (DevOps)NSW