First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
Talend Open Studio 3.0
Powerful open-source data integration suite
- It's a free alternative to more powerful options; Business Modeler is a great feature; Excellent service and support
- Not strong on mainframe connectors; lack of industry-specific components; limited ELT support
For free software, Talend Open Studio offers a great deal to anyone looking for a powerful data integration. Despite some limitations, Open Studio 3.0 scales gracefully to meet enterprise integration demands and is an attractive alternative to hugely-expensive software or bespoke development
Talend needs to work on automating management and partitioning of distributed jobs. I'd like to see Talend (and the Talend community) generate more industry-specific components - say, to address HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) and SWIFT (Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication) directly. And although Talend offers ELT support in addition to ETL, currently ELT mode is limited to Oracle, MySQL, and Teradata databases.
Support is always a key concern for open source. Although Talend is still a young company, its worldwide presence enables it to deliver service, support, and training 24/7. Support is included in its team-oriented Integration Suite, along with added provisions for distributed monitoring and load balancing down to the CPU core. Talend even offers a free SaaS edition, Talend on Demand, with subscription-based support.
Clearly Talend has much to offer. Before you break the bank for a six-figure proprietary alternative or ponder the ongoing maintenance nightmare of a hand-coded solution, you'd be foolish not to explore Talend for your next data integration project.
Latest News Articles
- Android vulnerability allows malware to compromise most devices and apps
- Oracle slashes Larry Ellison's stock options following shareholder discontent
- Microsoft faces anti-monopoly probe in China over Windows, Office
- Privacy groups call for action to stop Facebook's off site user tracking plans
- Huawei's smartphones shipments rise on international sales
Most Popular Articles
- 1 What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- 2 Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- 3 Windows 7 Home Premium vs. Windows 7 Professional
- 4 How to play DVD movies on your Nintendo Wii
- 5 How do I connect my TV to the Internet?