Talend Open Studio 3.0
Powerful open-source data integration suite
- It's a free alternative to more powerful options; Business Modeler is a great feature; Excellent service and support
- Not strong on mainframe connectors; lack of industry-specific components; limited ELT support
For free software, Talend Open Studio offers a great deal to anyone looking for a powerful data integration. Despite some limitations, Open Studio 3.0 scales gracefully to meet enterprise integration demands and is an attractive alternative to hugely-expensive software or bespoke development
Talend needs to work on automating management and partitioning of distributed jobs. I'd like to see Talend (and the Talend community) generate more industry-specific components - say, to address HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) and SWIFT (Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication) directly. And although Talend offers ELT support in addition to ETL, currently ELT mode is limited to Oracle, MySQL, and Teradata databases.
Support is always a key concern for open source. Although Talend is still a young company, its worldwide presence enables it to deliver service, support, and training 24/7. Support is included in its team-oriented Integration Suite, along with added provisions for distributed monitoring and load balancing down to the CPU core. Talend even offers a free SaaS edition, Talend on Demand, with subscription-based support.
Clearly Talend has much to offer. Before you break the bank for a six-figure proprietary alternative or ponder the ongoing maintenance nightmare of a hand-coded solution, you'd be foolish not to explore Talend for your next data integration project.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Motorola Moto X Style review: A no compromise flagship
- 2 Oppo R7 Plus review: a stellar sub-$600 phablet
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7) 4G review: Samsung does a lot more with a lot less
- 4 Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) review: Is it worth an extra $100?
- 5 Jawbone UP3 review: 3 months with Jawbone's best fitness tracker
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft claims 110M devices now run Windows 10
- Windows 10 growth slows, but breaks 100M device mark
- Google Photos’ big, helpful Android update goes live
- Microsoft’s Sydney store will open its doors on 12 November
- Tim Cook on Apple and Microsoft partnership: 'It's what customers want'
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTDigital ManagerNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW