Tannoy Mecury F1 Custom
- Great treble, detailed mid-range, accurate reproduction, punchy bass, low price
- Some users may not enjoy the neutral slightly analytical tone
Tannoy's Mercury F1 Custom speakers are some of the best entry-level reference speakers you can buy offering brilliant sound quality and a compact design.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- Bundle Deal Red F1 Luxury Car Bed Single Mattress 398.30
With the proliferation of high-definition televisions in the home entertainment space these days, many users may be asking what else they can do to improve their home cinema experience. The next logical step is to add some high quality speakers to the mix and Tannoy's entry-level Mercury F1 Custom units are a great choice in this regard.
While for many users a home-theatre-in-a-box style package complete with speakers, receiver and DVD player will be adequate, those after a more robust and complete surround experience will want to pursue a DIY option. The Mercury F1 speakers offer brilliant audio quality and pack it into a compact frame making them ideal for those working with space constraints. The price tag is also quite low, so for those on a budget they are a perfect solution.
The speakers themselves are a simple affair. They are packaged with no accessories so do keep in mind you'll need both a receiver to connect them to and speaker wire to do this with. The system we looked at comprised of just two standard bookshelf speakers; however, the Mercury Custom range is made up of a variety of speakers in different sizes and shapes such as the large floor-standing F4s, and thus you can put together a package that fits your environment and needs, be it 2.1, 5.1 or 7.1.
As it stands, we could only review the two satellite speakers on their own, with no subwoofer or surround units to complement it, but they still performed fantastically. The bass wasn't as powerful or deep as it would be with a full surround system, but it was punchy and detailed which was great for rock and jazz music. It also decayed very quickly which gave our music a very natural feel.
The mid-range was detailed with a slightly forward presentation. It tended towards being quite neutral which is good for those after a perfectly accurate reproduction of their music, but some users may prefer a slightly coloured more fun sound. We found guitar strings had a slightly gritty, metallic sound which sounded great for rock tunes.
Meanwhile the highs were rich and sweet with great range. Separation was brilliant with all the different musical elements coming across very distinct and clear. We were impressed by the surround field created considering it was just two speakers; instrumental placement was spot on.
These are single driver units so they simply have two speaker wire connections and that's it. As with most speakers, no external power connection is required. Aesthetically, the Mercury F1s look fairly plain with a basic wood grain finish and black speaker grills. Their biggest advantage is the aforementioned size, which means they are well suited to a shelf or small, enclosed space.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Motorola Moto X Style review: A no compromise flagship
- 2 Oppo R7 Plus review: a stellar sub-$600 phablet
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7) 4G review: Samsung does a lot more with a lot less
- 4 Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) review: Is it worth an extra $100?
- 5 Jawbone UP3 review: 3 months with Jawbone's best fitness tracker
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Chromecast duo extends Google's reach further into the living room
- Yamaha unveils MusicCast, a high-fidelity multi-room audio system that will have 20-plus components by year's end
- Dr. Dre's Apple Music exclusive paid off
- Telstra TV will offer Netflix, Presto and Stan
- Sony's new whole-home speakers combine Google Cast and Apple AirPlay
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- CCWeb / Drupal DeveloperNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTDigital ManagerNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW