App review: goCatch for iOS
This taxi app shows ratings for drivers as well as passengers and even allows payments via PayPal
- Easy to use
- Avoid company systems
- Secure mobile payments
- Small community
As a free app, goCatch is handy to own as it provides information on cabs that companies hesitate to distribute, such as real-time locations. Although the community has a way to go, the service is easy to use, and PayPal payments add to the convenience of the experience.
GoCatch is a community-driven, third party taxi booking service that relies on the participation of drivers and passengers. While it contributes to generating business for the former and finding services for the latter, it remains restricted and will require growth in the community in order to be consistent and efficient.
GoCatch is divided into two segments. On first launch, you are asked to select whether you will be using it as a passenger or driver. There is no option to toggle between the two once one of these has been selected. Both groups of users are then required to register their email address and phone number.
Operating the app as a passenger is straight forward. The default screen is a map which pins your location. It also contains pins of taxis in the area which are using goCatch. If a cab is tapped, it displays its username, rating out of five, the cab company, and cab number. A tutorial can be accessed by new users by tapping the bright green "new tutorial available" button at the top of the screen.
To book a taxi, the passenger must tap "goCatch", which is located at the bottom of the screen. This brings up a booking sheet which asks for your destination, pickup address, mobile number, number of passengers, and the option to give further instructions for the driver. There is also the option of including a tip, which evidently gives drivers greater incentive to pick you up. Once this is complete, a five-minute timer commences. Below the timer, goCatch lists how many drivers the request has been sent to, how many it has been seen by, and the number that have rejected it. Once the timer elapses, you can try to book again.
If the trip is accepted, passengers can view the location of the driver on the map. goCatch also provides options to abandon the trip, call the driver, or approve that you have been collected.
False bookings and cancellations decrease your passenger rating. In addition, moving 200 metres away from the location of your booking results in automatic cancellation.
While we have not experienced goCatch as a driver, it’s safe to assume that each cab is able to view a map of passengers in the area, as well as their complete request, including tip. Taxis can also choose to accept or decline the job, with push notifications keeping them up to date.
On 5 November 2012, goCatch introduced a mobile payment system that allows passengers to pay via their smartphone by registering a PayPal account with the app. Payments can be made with two taps, and receipts are sent to your designated email address.
While goCatch can make cab bookings a lot easier because it bypasses company systems, the user community will need to grow in order for it to be consistently effective. In November, the app reported just under 100,000 users.
Developer: Taxi Apps
Requirements: iOS 5
Reviewed on: iPhone 5
Join the PC World newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Google might be gearing up to remove millions of Play Store apps next month
- WhatsApp finally launches video calling
- Google Play is cracking down on fake reviews and fraudulent install numbers
- New call-blocking apps in iOS 10 can stop spams and scams before they reach you
- Pokémon Go guide app with half a million downloads hacks Android devices
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSenior Software EngineerVIC
- CCSecurity AnalystACT
- CCIT Procurement OfficerNSW
- CCSenior System AdministratorVIC
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperVIC
- TPiOS Developer (Mobile)NSW
- CCFullstack .Net DeveloperNSW
- TPProject ManagerOther
- FTClient Delivery ManagerSA
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)NSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)QLD
- FTJava Developer/IntegratorACT
- FTWeb Developer / Applications AnalystQLD
- FTData AnalystQLD
- FT.Net DeveloperVIC
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperQLD
- FTMonitoring Tools Support l NimSoft , SMARTS, ehealth, TivoliNSW
- FTOnline Solutions AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCPMO ManagerNSW
- TPTechnical Report EditorQLD
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | Enterprise Information SharingQLD
- FTNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperNSW