App review: goCatch for iOS
This taxi app shows ratings for drivers as well as passengers and even allows payments via PayPal
- Easy to use
- Avoid company systems
- Secure mobile payments
- Small community
As a free app, goCatch is handy to own as it provides information on cabs that companies hesitate to distribute, such as real-time locations. Although the community has a way to go, the service is easy to use, and PayPal payments add to the convenience of the experience.
GoCatch is a community-driven, third party taxi booking service that relies on the participation of drivers and passengers. While it contributes to generating business for the former and finding services for the latter, it remains restricted and will require growth in the community in order to be consistent and efficient.
GoCatch is divided into two segments. On first launch, you are asked to select whether you will be using it as a passenger or driver. There is no option to toggle between the two once one of these has been selected. Both groups of users are then required to register their email address and phone number.
Operating the app as a passenger is straight forward. The default screen is a map which pins your location. It also contains pins of taxis in the area which are using goCatch. If a cab is tapped, it displays its username, rating out of five, the cab company, and cab number. A tutorial can be accessed by new users by tapping the bright green "new tutorial available" button at the top of the screen.
To book a taxi, the passenger must tap "goCatch", which is located at the bottom of the screen. This brings up a booking sheet which asks for your destination, pickup address, mobile number, number of passengers, and the option to give further instructions for the driver. There is also the option of including a tip, which evidently gives drivers greater incentive to pick you up. Once this is complete, a five-minute timer commences. Below the timer, goCatch lists how many drivers the request has been sent to, how many it has been seen by, and the number that have rejected it. Once the timer elapses, you can try to book again.
If the trip is accepted, passengers can view the location of the driver on the map. goCatch also provides options to abandon the trip, call the driver, or approve that you have been collected.
False bookings and cancellations decrease your passenger rating. In addition, moving 200 metres away from the location of your booking results in automatic cancellation.
While we have not experienced goCatch as a driver, it’s safe to assume that each cab is able to view a map of passengers in the area, as well as their complete request, including tip. Taxis can also choose to accept or decline the job, with push notifications keeping them up to date.
On 5 November 2012, goCatch introduced a mobile payment system that allows passengers to pay via their smartphone by registering a PayPal account with the app. Payments can be made with two taps, and receipts are sent to your designated email address.
While goCatch can make cab bookings a lot easier because it bypasses company systems, the user community will need to grow in order for it to be consistently effective. In November, the app reported just under 100,000 users.
Developer: Taxi Apps
Requirements: iOS 5
Reviewed on: iPhone 5
Join the PC World newsletter!
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Acer Swift 7
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HP Pavilion x360 13”
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Venom Blackbook Zero 14 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- Google might be gearing up to remove millions of Play Store apps next month
- WhatsApp finally launches video calling
- Google Play is cracking down on fake reviews and fraudulent install numbers
- New call-blocking apps in iOS 10 can stop spams and scams before they reach you
- Pokémon Go guide app with half a million downloads hacks Android devices
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- TPAnalyst Programmer (.Net)SA
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPSenior Test AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Java Developers (Several positions available)QLD
- CCFirewall EngineerNSW
- CCFullstack .Net DeveloperNSW
- FTRACF Mainframe Security Analysts / Engineers - Multiple Roles - SydneyNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst Digitalisation projectsQLD
- TPLead TesterNSW
- FTNetwork Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTSalesforce Marketing Cloud ConsultantVIC
- FTService Desk Consultant - Entry Level / GraduateNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst | HealthQLD
- FTSolutions Architect - Digital Technologies Financial ServicesQLD
- FTDeployment Manager | ContractVIC
- FTKey Account ManagerVIC
- FTApplication Support Analyst - SMSF solutions - www.class.com.auNSW
- FTInformation Security ConsultantACT
- FTOracle Forms PL/SQL Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- TPTeam Leader Project And Quality AssuranceVIC
- FTPMO CoordinatorNSW
- FTSAP Data Migration LeadNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - General InsuranceNSW
- TPIT Service Desk AnalystVIC