A decent upgrade from your MP3 player's stock earbuds
- Punchy bass, good isolation
- Overpowering mid-range, missing treble
TDK's EB-400 earphones are some of the cheapest canalphones available, and they're a good upgrade from the standard earbuds of many MP3 players despite a few problems.
Price$ 19.95 (AUD)
The EB-400 is the premium model in TDK's latest range of earphones. They're in-ear headphones that offer a decent amount of isolation and have a heavy focus on mid-range sound.
The headphones need to be inserted quite deep into the ear. This helps block out background noises — meaning volume levels can be lower and sound is clearer.
The sound quality isn't fantastic, but it is a step-up from the stock earbuds offered with MP3 players. At a normal listening volume (quite a low volume setting on the test iPod, thanks to the low impedance and in-ear design of the EB-400) music was quite enjoyable to listen to.
The headphones are bass-heavy, with strong low-range notes that are quite slow and lingering. The mid-level dominates, and it is quite detailed when listening to complex tracks. There's a smooth emphasis, evident on piano tunes, which sometimes makes the headphones sound bloated and dull.
At high volumes we found that while the bass was still audible it didn't extend very low and music sounded quite hollow. Mid-ranges became overpowering, often drowning out higher treble frequencies and leading to a loss of clarity in instrument-heavy sections of music.
The headphones are easy to insert and they come with three sizes of silicon sleeves to match ear size. They can get slightly uncomfortable over long periods of time.
Each set comes with a silicon cover, matched to the anodised casing of the earphones themselves. This cover will snugly fit a second-generation iPod Nano. Although Apple has issued a newer model of the Nano, the popularity of the previous generation means that the silicon skin may still be useful to some consumers.
There is a small amount of vibration heard when the earphones' cord moves, but this phenomenon occurs with all in-ear headphones. Some higher-end models counter this with thicker cords or cords wrapped with different materials, but the EB-400 just uses a normal cord. This will present a problem during activities involving constant movement, such as jogging and walking.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Parrot's Zik 2.0 headphones include an accelerometer and plenty of noise cancelling
- Kogan opens online shop in New Zealand
- Sennheiser's new DJ range of headphones
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCWindows Server EngineerNSW
- CCContract Programmer (Crystal Report/HTML/SQL) 160428/P/244Asia
- CCSolution ArchitectACT
- FTSenior DBA / Team LeadVIC
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW
- CCServiceNow / SACM ConsultantNSW
- FTSystem EngineerACT
- CCDigital Producer (Part Time 3 Days Per Week)NSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - ICT SecurityNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Digital/Financial ServicesNSW
- CCPortfolio Manager - Customer Service SystemVIC
- FTSenior Application SpecialistACT
- FTSenior Network Engineer | National Systems Integrator & MSP | CBD locationNSW
- FTData AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Technical WriterVIC
- FTFront End DeveloperSA
- FTWeb DeveloperSA
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- CCEnterprise Architect (Security)NSW
- CCSAP BW developerVIC
- CCSenior Financial Crime AnalystVIC
- FTDesktop SupportNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/HTML/SQL) 160421/P/903Asia
- CCMicrosoft Server EngineerWA
- CCEnvironment ManagerVIC