TDK EB 900 in-ear headphones
TDK's in-ear headphones have reasonable sound quality and great passive noise cancellation
- Foam ear-tips block almost all outside noise, decent sound quality that responds well to equalisation
- Unequalised sound can sound slightly flat and muffled, no clip for headphone cable
If you have an MP3 player capable of custom audio equalisation, TDK's EB 900 in-ear headphones come into their own. Passive noise cancellation is near-perfect when using the foam ear-tips, and even unequalised sound quality is acceptable. For the price, TDK's EB 900 in-ear headphones are a quality product.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
TDK’s EB 900 headphones have an in-ear design with a foam tip that moulds itself to your ear canal, offering excellent passive noise cancellation. These in-ear headphones can produce reasonable sound quality but require custom equalisation to really shine.
Without any equalisation from our Apple iPhone 3GS, the TDK EB 900 ear-buds tended to sound slightly flat. They still performed competently, with mid-range and bass tones represented well at moderate and higher volumes. Treble seemed slightly muffed when compared to other frequencies.
When switching on treble-boosting equalisation, the TDK EB 900 ear-buds take on a different character. Crisp, bright treble tones backed up by competent mid-range and punchy bass notes give the TDK EB 900 in-ear headphones a pleasant, musical character. We didn't notice any distortion at extremely high volumes, suggesting that these headphones have plenty of headroom.
The soundstage isn't especially expansive, which may annoy those who prefer some stereo separation in their music. Music from different channels is audible, but due to the earphones' intra-aural nature, sounds with only a slight bias to one side are hard to distinguish.
The 'Comply' foam ear-tips supplied with the TDK EB 900 in-ear headphones may take a little getting used to, but once they are properly inserted they expand to fill the ear canal and block out almost all outside noise. This allows you to listen at lower overall volumes, protecting your hearing.
The 1.2m headphone cord is fabric-covered, with a Y-shaped neck split. Microphonics from the cord are not particularly bad, but we would have liked a clip for the cable to secure it. A leatherette case and three different pairs of silicon ear-tips are included in the sales package (we preferred the near-perfect seal provided by the foam tips).
We were expecting the TDK EB 900 in-ear headphones to have a price tag north of $100, but a street price of little more than $60 is impressive. Sound quality isn't exceptional, but if you value good passive noise cancellation and can tailor your audio a little with equalisation, give the TDK EB 900 in-ear headphones some consideration.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the PC World newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Surface Pro 4
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Apple's AirPods could deliver audio with multiple wireless protocols
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Astro A38 review: A staggering price to pay for convenience
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- CCERP Business Analyst (Time Capture/ Management) - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTWintel EngineerSA
- FTJunior Software Developer - SASACT
- TPSolution Architect - Transport DomainVIC
- TPSenior Applications Support OfficerQLD
- FTHR Payroll ConsultantQLD
- CCDevops EngineerNSW
- FTMid Level PHP DeveloperNSW
- CCNetwork Specialist - IPAM TelcoVIC
- CCWPF .NET EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)NSW
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- TPProject Manager to manage two concurrent ProjectsQLD
- TPDigital Process Business Analyst - Digital Transformation**NSW
- FTInfrastructure Architect (Adelaide Based)VIC
- FTSenior Java Developers (Several positions available)QLD
- CCTelecommunication Operations SpecialistTAS
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TPLead Change Manager - ERPVIC
- TPSystem AdministratorVIC
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCTest Planner - Infrastructure/Data CentreACT