TDK iVibe iPod dock speaker system
TDK's latest wall-mountable iPod speaker system has good bass for its size
- Reasonable sound quality, large and clear LCD screen
- No adjustable EQ, build quality is spectacular
If you've got an iPod, need a speaker system and have nowhere around the house to put it, why not get one of TDK's wall-mountable iVibe setups?
Price$ 229.95 (AUD)
The TDK iVibe is an iPod dock with two flat-panel speakers, a large LCD screen and an alarm clock function. If you’re looking for a slim, wall-mountable dock, the TDK iVibe is worth considering.
We like the way the TDK iVibe iPod speaker system is designed, with a single slim speaker panel accented by two thin chrome strips. Along with the dark chrome stand, the design is simple and stylish. We wish the speaker panel was made out of higher quality plastic though; it looks slightly tacky when viewed front-on.
The large LCD screen of the TDK iVibe is useful, despite displaying only a few characters at a time. Each character is around an inch high, so the display is easy to see from across a room. The screen is bright enough to read even in direct sunlight (though it’s uncomfortably bright in a dark room).
The TDK iVibe won't work with MP3 players apart from iPods, but it does come with an integrated FM tuner. We didn't have any problems when we tested it with an Apple iPhone 3G mobile phone, an Apple iPod touch (2nd generation) MP3 player and an Apple iPod Nano (4th generation) MP3 player. The dock will charge your iPod or iPhone while you're listening to music, so it’s a good way to get some battery power back in your music player before you head out for the day.
Sound from the flat-panel speakers is surprisingly good. Despite being little more than an inch thick at their deepest, they have accurate mid-range response and good bass resonance at higher volumes. Treble representation is also good, with crisp, high notes created without too much harshness or brightness. There’s no adjustable equaliser, but the four presets ⏼ rock, jazz, classic and pop — do a reasonable job.
You can use the included remote to set two alarms. There's also a sleep function that let's you specify how long the system should play music for before turning itself off.
The TDK iVibe speaker system can be wall mounted with either two or four screws.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Sydney Airport lost property auction: you'll be amazed at what some people left behind
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager | TelecommunicationVIC
- FTTechnical Business Analyst | Marketing ServicesNSW
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst -Change and SAP ProcurementNSW
- CCSecurity Cleared IT Professionals - Expression of InterestSA
- CCContract Systems Analyst (IT Security) 160928/JP/653Asia
- FTLinux Systems AdministratorNZ
- FTCarrier/ Industrial Network ConsultantsWA
- CCVideo Conference Support Officer- VoIP, LAN, WAN, RemedyNSW
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW
- CCData Analyst | Data Management Framework | Experience in RNSW
- CCTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / Kronos)NSW
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- CCBusiness Analyst with change management experienceACT
- CCSenior Infrastrcture Project ManagerACT
- CCProgram Manager - Data InsightVIC
- CCSoftware TesterACT
- FTMDM EngineerNSW
- FTTeam Leader Full Stack, Python, FinanceNSW
- CCWAN Architect and ConsultantWA
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT