TDK iVibe iPod dock speaker system
TDK's latest wall-mountable iPod speaker system has good bass for its size
- Reasonable sound quality, large and clear LCD screen
- No adjustable EQ, build quality is spectacular
If you've got an iPod, need a speaker system and have nowhere around the house to put it, why not get one of TDK's wall-mountable iVibe setups?
Price$ 229.95 (AUD)
The TDK iVibe is an iPod dock with two flat-panel speakers, a large LCD screen and an alarm clock function. If you’re looking for a slim, wall-mountable dock, the TDK iVibe is worth considering.
We like the way the TDK iVibe iPod speaker system is designed, with a single slim speaker panel accented by two thin chrome strips. Along with the dark chrome stand, the design is simple and stylish. We wish the speaker panel was made out of higher quality plastic though; it looks slightly tacky when viewed front-on.
The large LCD screen of the TDK iVibe is useful, despite displaying only a few characters at a time. Each character is around an inch high, so the display is easy to see from across a room. The screen is bright enough to read even in direct sunlight (though it’s uncomfortably bright in a dark room).
The TDK iVibe won't work with MP3 players apart from iPods, but it does come with an integrated FM tuner. We didn't have any problems when we tested it with an Apple iPhone 3G mobile phone, an Apple iPod touch (2nd generation) MP3 player and an Apple iPod Nano (4th generation) MP3 player. The dock will charge your iPod or iPhone while you're listening to music, so it’s a good way to get some battery power back in your music player before you head out for the day.
Sound from the flat-panel speakers is surprisingly good. Despite being little more than an inch thick at their deepest, they have accurate mid-range response and good bass resonance at higher volumes. Treble representation is also good, with crisp, high notes created without too much harshness or brightness. There’s no adjustable equaliser, but the four presets ⏼ rock, jazz, classic and pop — do a reasonable job. You can use the included remote to set two alarms. There's also a sleep function that let's you specify how long the system should play music for before turning itself off.
The TDK iVibe speaker system can be wall mounted with either two or four screws.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 2 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 3 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
- 4 HTC One Mini 2 android smartphone
- 5 Oppo Find 7 Android smartphone
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Telephony vendor Mitel goes public with $540M bid for ShoreTel
- Office Mix now lets PowerPoint users create on the fly
- Are higher frequencies mobile's next frontier? The FCC wants to know
- With chip fabs gone, IBM's hardware future will be in high-end design
- Ask Watson or Siri: Artificial intelligence is as elusive as ever
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSales Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW
- FTTechnical Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW
- CCConsumer Product Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | Sales ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW