Tech21 Evo Xplorer
A rugged case for rugged people. Who have an iPhone 6.
- Keeps out water and dust
- Good impact protection
- Small size
- Muffled mic
- Parts can go missing
- Only available for iPhone 6 and 6S
Useful for those who need their iPhone to be rugged all the time. But not casual users.
Price$ 140.00 (AUD)
If you exist in an environment that contains dust, water or a higher-than-usual chance of impact damage then you’ll either need a special rugged phone or a rugged case to put your phone in.
Tech21’s Evo Xplorer is a two piece case that seals your iPhone (6 or 6S) inside and protects it against impact to 2m (IP68 rating). Note that while the raised bezel will protect the screen when dropping on a flat floor, the thin screen protector is unlikely to help much if it lands screen-first on a pointy rock or similar.
The screen protector is nonetheless responsive to touch (unlike others we've tested) so it’s not frustrating when swiping around screens and selecting icons.
There’s naturally a snug fit to the phone and putting the case on and taking it off is quite a chore, so don’t expect to be doing this regularly.
The buttons on the side are still operable – the 'silence switch' becomes a dial while the volume and power buttons are the same but are now quite hard to press.
At the bottom there’s a screw cap cover the headphones port. This can be removed and a separate adapter can be inserted to allow you to connect your headphones. Both the cover and adapter went missing very quickly for us unfortunately. While we know they’re buried in an office somewhere, it does go to show that if you’re using this in the field and misplace these small and fiddly items, much of the protection afforded by this case is suddenly rendered useless.
There’s a sturdy cover over the Lightening connector port too. It’s very solid and hard work to open and close though it should loosen up over time. This might also rule it out for kids who will struggle to open it at all without help.
However, this was the main issue. The cover really needs to be open to make a phone call otherwise the microphone is muffled. Our tester found that even with this slot open she was having to shout to make herself heard on regular phone calls and that this got annoying quickly.
Ultimately the case does what it says it does and will be boon for the certain demographics who need the protection, can live with regular, fiddly port openings, don’t mind shouting and who don't mind paying the massive price. For the regular consumer, the protection won't be worth the muffled microphone, fiddly port openings or the money.
Join the PC World newsletter!
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 5 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- It's official: iOS 10 launches with huge improvements to iMessage, Apple Music, Siri, and more
- Which iPhones, iPads, and iPods support iOS 10?
- India has shot down Apple's plan to sell refurbished iPhones
- Lab results find the iPhone SE fails the bendgate and waterproof test
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - Wealth AdviceNSW
- FTERP Data Migration Consultant - Software Company - Permanent - SydneyNSW
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- CCSharepoint Business AnalystACT
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)QLD
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TPICT Contracts Compliance ManagerWA
- TPOracle Consultant - CC&BQLD
- FTMonitoring Tools Support l NimSoft , SMARTS, ehealth, TivoliNSW
- CCProject Support OfficerNSW
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Cyber SecurityACT
- FTMicrosoft ProgrammerSA
- FTAnalyst Programmer (Natural/Adabas)SA
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW
- FTConsultant Business AnalystQLD
- FTSales Account Manager | Cloud Solutions | Global Tech GiantNSW
- CCSystems Engineer (Infra)NSW
- TPBI Commercial AnalystVIC
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)VIC
- CCProject Manager - Security/Cyber SecurityNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)ACT
- CCMultiple System Engineers - Data Centre - TelcoVIC
- TPChange AnalystQLD