Robocalypse aims to fill the DS' RTS void.
- Simple and fun take on the RTS genre, good variety of missions and unit types
- Questionable AI, selecting individual units can be difficult at times
An interesting take on the RTS genre for the DS, Robocalypse won't blow your mind but it's a fun way to kill a few hours.
Best Deals (Selling at 4 stores)
I'm surprised there aren't more RTS titles on the DS. The stylus and dual screens seem like a natural fit for the genre but aside from a handful of titles, it's sort of slim pickings for RTS fans. Robocalypse aims to fill that void with a robotic take on the genre that, for the most part, succeeds.
I'm surprised there aren't more RTS titles on the DS. The stylus and dual screens seem like a natural fit for the genre but aside from a handful of titles, the RTS genre has been sort of overlooked on Nintendo's handheld. Robocalypse aims to fill that void with a simplistic robot combat title that more or less succeeds.
The story takes place in a factory where prototype robots and toasters are being produced-talk about an odd combination! But when military combat routines are accidentally installed into the new robots, it turns them into strategic killers. To save humanity, a factory worked named Myron creates a new batch of robots that have been implanted with the brain scans of retired World War II vets. The setup's pretty wacky but the gameplay definitely relies on tried-and-true RTS conventions.
The Campaign mode offers 17 unique missions complete with hidden objectives and a reward system for meeting specific criteria. There's also a good variety to the unit and weapon types, with each robot possessing its own set of skills and armaments. You control the action with a simple point and click interface that's complimented by an Action Flag system that greatly reduces the difficulty of commanding multiple units but it can be frustrating to search for a specific unit, especially in the heat of battle. Your bots are smart enough to make some decisions on their own but I noticed some questionable behavior every now and again.
Despite these issues, I still liked the game's unique style and I'm happy to see the DS getting more RTS love. It's an easy game to pick up and I would recommend it to RTS lovers who game on the go. It won't make you forget about Starcraft II or the new Red Alert but it's a good way to kill a few hours.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Motorola Moto X Style review: A no compromise flagship
- 2 Oppo R7 Plus review: a stellar sub-$600 phablet
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7) 4G review: Samsung does a lot more with a lot less
- 4 Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) review: Is it worth an extra $100?
- 5 Jawbone UP3 review: 3 months with Jawbone's best fitness tracker
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- EA delays Need for Speed's PC edition to deliver more speed
- This week in PC gaming: Cliff Bleszinski’s LawBreakers defies gravity, XCOM 2 defies release
- Pac-Man Championship Edition DX evolves the classic formula—and puts it into overdrive
- Assassin's Creed Syndicate hands-on: Top-hats, bobbies, and a bit o' ultraviolence
- Angry Birds 2 is the 'sequel' you've been waiting for
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTDigital ManagerNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW