Tecmo Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff
Runs back the clock to an era of pre-franchise mode football sims.
- Familiar visuals, local and wi-fi multiplayer, special player abilities
- Flawed menu system, wonky touchpad controls
Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff attempts to provide an audible experienced for uninitiated or lapsed players bewildered by current fantasy-football sims like Madden and 2K.
Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff runs back the clock to an era of pre-franchise mode football sims with 8-bit style sprites and cut-scene laced arcade gameplay.
Kickoff nails the style of the NES original with tiny sprites skittering across a horizontal gridiron, fist-pumping audio and some high energy cut-scene animations. You can use either the face buttons or touchpad to control your players, which can be jarring since the former works better for running plays while the latter works better for passing to receivers. Also, like the originals there are no defensive plays — you can simply guess your opponent's next offensive play, which saves you half the trouble of interpreting Xs and Os.
Kickoff also offers customisation options including the ability to change team logos and player names as well as assign attribute points and offensive powers like rocket pass and lightning dodge. Ordinarily, jacking up your player's stats and powers might cause some balance issues, but the game's reliance on blocks, fumbles and interceptions provides both fast-paced arcade action and a mechanism to iron out the difficulty. Unfortunately, the game's simplicity is underscored by a flawed menu system. During play selection, there's no field position marker, so good luck deciding whether to punt or kick a field goal. Season mode is a clunky mess that doesn't allow you to exit games once you're in spectator mode, run multiple seasons or even delete a season that you've already started.
Players looking for an accessible football sim with robust local and NWC multiplayer capabilities will cheer on Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff, especially against a monolithic Madden franchise. If nostalgia is your game, the original Tecmo Bowl on Virtual Console still remains unbeaten after all these years.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Divinity: Original Sin II preview: Choose your own reactive, gloriously chaotic adventure
- South Park: The Fractured But Whole preview: With great farts come great responsibility
- Konami's Metal Gear Survive is a co-op zombie survival game
- Microsoft wants all your devices to run on Xbox One’s proprietary wireless signal
- Warning: No Man’s Sky's PC port is broken and buggy
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCStorage / Server EngineerNSW
- CCSolution Architect - Data MigrationVIC
- CCManager Architecture Practice Lead (Infrastructure Architect)NSW
- CCSharePoint DeveloperACT
- CCSenior Project Manager - TelecommunicationVIC
- FTSAP BASIS HANA ConsultantNSW
- CCCustomer Service RepresentativeQLD
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Loutus Notes) 160815/SA/102Asia
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- FTBusiness Development ManagerVIC
- CCFull stack Java Developer- NoSQL database, Amazon AWS productsNSW
- CCComms project specialistVIC
- CCSr. Project Manager- Infrastructure- Data Centre,VirtualizationNSW
- CCSolution Designer - Windows UpgradeNSW
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer - Brand NEW IoT ProjectNSW
- CCBI-Business Intelligence Technical LeadNSW
- CCWebmaster content managementACT
- FTTM1 Solution DesignerNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/P/601Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Crystal Report/JAVA) 160816/AP/vhsAsia
- CCTechnology Specialist Networks & SecurityVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET/SQL Server) 160829/AP/267Asia
- CCNetwork Technology SpecialistVIC
- CCData Centre Solutions Architect - Red Hat, Wintel & VMwareACT