Dynasty Warriors 7
Dynasty Warriors 7 review: A brilliant offering by Tecmo Koei
- Just about everything in this game.
- A clean, mature and refined title in a series that is starting to get some real attention, even in the West.
- It's going to be difficult for Tecmo Koei to top this.
- Dynasty Warriors 8 will need to be very different.
These games are always a love-or-hate affair, but if you've ever enjoyed a Warriors game in its 11-odd year history, Dynasty Warriors 7 is a must buy.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
Omega Force has done a good job in breaking up that raw action by putting it within a range of interesting contexts. As mentioned above, there are some “guard XXXX” missions. There are others where the goal is simply to escape, and still others might involve piloting a gunship through an enemy fleet. It's the most varied Dynasty Warriors to date, and the variety maintains a good tempo throughout.
From a technical standpoint, it's also the most competent Warriors to date. The character models are nicely detailed, the environments clean if unspectacular. Other games in the franchise have been criticised for having a limited draw distance — it's better here, though still not perfect. Most impressive though is the 3D support. As we saw in Samurai Warriors Chronicles on the Nintendo 3DS 3D helps these games, both visually (Tecmo Koei has mastered the art of the 3D cut scene), and in gameplay terms — when it's easier to judge distances, it's less likely you'll swing at thin air.
All up, Dynasty Warriors 7 is a masterpiece, and a true highlight for the series. It will be interesting to see where Tecmo Koei goes next with this, because every drop of juice has been wrung out of this formula now, to spectacular effect.
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Medion Akoya E4110 (MD 8239) desktop PC
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Tab S (10.5) 4G review
- 3 Dell Inspiron 11 3000 Series convertible laptop
- 4 Kogan Agora 4G review
- 5 Motorola Moto E review
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Report: Amazon building ad system to compete with Google's
- Airbnb to reveal 124 New York hosts to attorney general
- US warns 'significant number' of major businesses hit by Backoff malware
- HP loses its leader on NFV, a key carrier network trend
- Google acquires Gecko Design for next-generation products
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTChief Information OfficerNSW
- FTAccount Manager Programmatic Trading DeskNSW
- FTSearch Account ManagerNSW
- CCL2 Technical Support Engineer - RightFax/MessagingVIC
- FTInformation Services ManagerNZ
- FTMachine Learning | JAVA | San Fran based global Company | SydneyNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Executive - B2BNSW