Teco TAL2226 LCD television
This 22in LCD television would make a good television for a bedroom or study
- PC-friendly 16:10 resolution
- Low contrast and brightness, widescreen content requires scaling because of 16:10 aspect ratio
The Teco TAL2226 is a reasonable choice for a user looking to get an all-purpose screen for a study or bedroom. It is hamstrung by low contrast and brightness levels.
Price$ 549.00 (AUD)
The Teco TAL2226 is a 22in LCD television that is well suited as a backup screen in a study or bedroom; it is sufficient for casual television watching.
We tested the white version of the TAL2226. With a thick bezel, low-slung speakers and central power LED it evoked memories of the Kogan 1080P-47 and the [[artnid:254629|LG Scarlet|Review: LG Scarlet] — albeit an ultra-budget version. The Teco’s build quality isn’t abysmal, but it feels like a budget TV.
Like most 22in all-in-one displays, the Teco TAL2226 has a resolution of 1680x1050. While this is not far from 1080p (Full HD), it has a 16:10 ratio, so regular widescreen content will need to be cropped or stretched to fit. The screen’s contrast ratio is 1000:1, which is acceptable for broadcast television and low-resolution video content. Brightness levels also aren’t fantastic. At 300cd/m2 it’s lower than the 500cd/m2 usually seen in LCD televisions.
The Teco TAL2226 has single HDMI, VGA, composite, component and S-Video ports. This is enough for connecting a computer and DVD player simultaneously, for example, but multiple digital video devices will require a splitter. We tested the Teco TAL2226 as a PC monitor using the VGA input; at its native resolution of 1680x1050 it looked crisp and sharp with reasonable colour reproduction. Widescreen 16:9 Blu-ray content was scaled reasonably well, with a variety of zoom options available. We would have preferred the screen to be a standard 16:9 resolution, though.
Picture quality is acceptable if you’re not an avid movie watcher, but the screen’s flaws quickly surface when presented with high quality content such as our 1080p Dark Knight test video. A large amount of black crush robs dark scenes of detail, while the relatively limited colour gamut means images aren’t as vibrant as other small screens we’ve seen, such as the Sony Bravia KDL22S5700.
If you’re not too fussed with image quality and want a screen that can serve as a computer monitor as well as a television and video player, the Teco TAL2226 is a viable option. For videophiles, though, there are better options available.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Vizio’s latest 4K TVs make eye-popping HDR more affordable
- Netflix flips the switch on eye-popping HDR video streaming
- Sony’s pricey Ultra video-streaming service goes live today, but you'll need a new high-end 4K Sony TV to use it
- Foxconn to pay over $US6bn for a majority stake in Sharp
- LG releases first flat screen OLED TV in Australia
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCDigital Producer (Part Time 3 Days Per Week)NSW
- CCProject Coordinator (urgent) - Digital - Blue chip companyNSW
- FTSenior Revenue Systems Functional AnalystSA
- CCSAP BASIS ConsultantVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160505/AP/951Asia
- FTSystem EngineerACT
- FTDigital Account Manager - Online MediaNSW
- CCApplication Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCEnvironment ManagerVIC
- CCSolution ArchitectACT
- CC.NET Developer (Application production Support)NSW
- CCSenior ICT Project OfficerACT
- CCJava Developer - multiple opportunitiesNSW
- FTSoftware Design Engineer (Embedded Software)SA
- CCSr. Iteration ManagerVIC
- FTDigital Sales Manager - Online MediaNSW
- CCInteraction & Visual - Web DesignerNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- FTIT Support Engineer - Managed Service Provider - No two days are the sameNSW
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- FTAzure ArchitectQLD
- FTSenior Storage Systems EngineerACT
- FTGraduate IT Administration SupportVIC
- CCHealthcare Test SpecialistSA
- CCOnline Shop Operations Consultant (eCommerce)VIC