Telstra EasyCall 2 mobile phone
Telstra EasyCall 2 review: The Telstra Easy Call 2 makes it easy for seniors to stay in touch
- Large keys, fonts and general ease of use
- Handy built-in flashlight
- Very competitive price
- No Bluetooth
- No predictive text input
The Telstra EasyCall 2 is strangely compelling. Its large buttons and easy to read screen make it one of the easiest phones to use on the market. Critically, it performs its core functions with natural ease, and is competitively priced.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
There is something strangely compelling about the Telstra EasyCall 2 mobile phone. It might be the extra large buttons, the easy to read display, or even the fact that this is a handset designed purely for calling and the occasional text. However, it isn't strange when you realise the Telstra EasyCall 2 has specifically been designed with older users in mind.
Read our guide to other top Telstra Next G mobiles on prepaid.
The Telstra EasyCall 2 mobile phone is a follow-up to Telstra's original EasyCall mobile, which it claims was "very popular" and sold out well before demand had been met. The original model was only a 2G handset, and had a monochrome display, but the EasyCall 2 ups the ante with Next G compatibility, along with a larger, colour display.
The Telstra EasyCall 2 is a candy bar handset that is easily identified by its extra large buttons. The keys have excellent tactility and are easy to press, and the key tones are audible; a voice reads the numbers out loud whenever the keys are pressed. Along with a screen that displays large fonts, has surprisingly good viewing angles, and is easy to see in sunlight, the Telstra EasyCall 2 is very user friendly.
Below the Easy Call 2's display are answer and end call buttons that double as OK and back keys, along with a simple up and down keys. The phone has a rubber-style finish on the back that makes it comfortable to hold, and although it's constructed from plastic, the EasyCall doesn't feel cheap or flimsy.
Both sides of the Telstra EasyCall are where things get interesting. The left side has large external volume keys that are easy to press, along with a slider switch that activates the built-in FM radio. Conveniently, the radio doesn't require the included headphones to work, and can be played though the EasyCall 2's speaker. On the right side is a switch that locks the phone to prevent accidental usage, along with a handy built-in flashlight. In a nice touch, the flashlight works even when the phone is switched off, provided the battery is not completely dead.
Telstra says the key feature of the EasyCall 2 is the orange alarm switch located on the back of the handset. It can be programmed to make a call to five pre-assigned phone numbers, or send a text message to three pre-assigned numbers. When the switch is activated, the EasyCall 2 also sounds a loud alarm, making it useful in the event of an emergency.
The menu of the Telstra EasyCall 2 is a simple list that is accessed by pressing the up or down button, with a big icon and large text aiding the user experience. Most importantly, the EasyCall 2 has excellent voice quality during phone calls. The speaker is clear and of a good quality, and the volume in particular is louder than most other mobile phones on the market.
The Telstra EasyCall 2 doesn't have Bluetooth, can't send or receive MMS, and lacks predictive text input for typing messages but these features are all surplus to requirements on a handset designed for seniors. Telstra has included an FM radio, along with an alarm and reminder function that lets you enter birthdays, important dates, medication reminders, a countdown, and even a getting up reminder. The EasyCall 2 also has a basic calendar and calculator, is comparable with T-Coil hearing aids, and is a Blue Tick rated handset, meaning it offers superior coverage in regional and rural areas of Australia.
The Telstra EasyCall 2 is available for $99, and comes with a Telstra prepaid Next G SIM card and $10 credit to use within a 30 day expiry period. In addition to being very easy to use, we think it's competitively priced.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Latest News Articles
- Google Keep adds app shortcuts, pinned messages in update
- New Windows 10 preview adds an iPhone Live Photos rival, Windows Ink improvements
- The Note7 will cost Samsung another US$3 billion in profit
- Google Phone app 5.1 adds in new gestures and interface tweaks
- Some reports of faulty Note7s invalidated
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCContract Junior Programmer (PC LAN Support) 161028/JP/203Asia
- CCFront End Developer (UI) - 12 Month ContractNSW
- CCInfrastructure ArchitectNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle) 161031/AP/512Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/J2EE/MyEclipse) 161007/AP/vmpAsia
- CCSenior Technical SpecialistVIC
- FTWeb DeveloperNSW
- FTUX Design LeadNSW
- FTProgram SchedulerNSW
- CCProgram ManagerACT
- CCBuild and Release ManagerNSW
- FTMobile Delivery Manager / Studio LeadNSW
- FTCRM Developer - MS Dynamics CRMNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager (Marketing Automation)NSW
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (JAVA/Oracle) 161012/SSA/623Asia
- FTDelivery LeadNSW
- CCIT Data AnalystACT
- CCSenior Security AnalystVIC
- CCDigital Producer - 3 Month Contract Immediate Start!NSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (IT Security/Admin.) 161014/SA/253Asia
- CCContract IT Assistant (UNIX/Windows) 161028/ITA/003Asia
- CCTesting Capability LeadNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- CCContract IT Assistant (PC LAN Support) 161114/ITA/411Asia
- CCNetwork Capacity PlannerVIC