Telstra Corporation F158
- Shock, dust and water resistant ruggedised design; impressive layout and implementation of controls; HSDPA-capable; loud ringtones
- No outstanding features, large and chunky size, average multimedia performance, no memory card slot for extra storage
The Telstra F158 will definitely appeal to tradesmen who require their mobile phone take a beating, but if you look past the ruggedised design, there isn't much else on offer.
Price$ 649.00 (AUD)
Sporting a rubber design and targeted specifically at tradesmen, Telstra's F158 has been built to take a beating. Shock, dust and water resistant, the F158 may be a worthy option to throw into your toolbox, but its large size and the fact that it has little to offer in terms of features means there is plenty of room for improvement.
The ruggedised candy bar design of the F158 certainly isn't very attractive, but it does the job. Although we can't formally test these claims, we did drop the handset a few times on various surfaces (including concrete) and splashed water on it. It passed both of these tests with flying colours.
The design itself is notable, but the sheer size of this handset may be a hindrance. It's especially chunky and feels quite heavy in the palm of our hand. But despite the size, the display is quite small and there aren't really many other outstanding features. The controls are impressive though – they are well spaced, comfortable and easy to press, making general browsing and messaging a pleasant affair.
Being a Next G handset, the F158 is naturally a HSDPA capable device, and supports speeds of up to 3.6Mbps on the Telstra network. Running on Next G means the F158 has access to the full range of Telstra content, including Mobile FOXTEL, Yellow Pages and WhereIs mobile. Unfortunately though, the F158 really hasn't been designed with entertainment or multimedia in mind. The small display is low specified and has a poor viewing angle, there is no standard 3.5mm headphone jack and the media player is as basic as they come. There is also just 64MB of internal storage and no memory card slot.
Thankfully, ease of use is excellent. Once again, the main menu features colourful icons in a simple grid layout, with a list format for most sub-menus. The F158 supports standard SMS, MMS and e-mail messaging, all with standard T9 predictive text input, while Bluetooth 1.2 supports wireless handsfree headsets but can't stream music to a wireless set of headphones. PIM features include an alarm, calendar, stopwatch, calculator and world time and Telstra includes a USB cable in the sales package for file transfers and connection to a PC.
A 1.3-megapixel camera on the rear is included and photos are about what we'd expect – colour reproduction is quite poor and image noise is an issue, but they look quite good on the F158's display. A front-mounted VGA camera is also present to allow for video calling over the Next G network.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Motorola Moto X Style review: A no compromise flagship
- 2 Oppo R7 Plus review: a stellar sub-$600 phablet
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7) 4G review: Samsung does a lot more with a lot less
- 4 Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) review: Is it worth an extra $100?
- 5 Jawbone UP3 review: 3 months with Jawbone's best fitness tracker
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft makes serious smartphone play with Lumia 950 range
- Windows 10 device roundup features Lumia smartphones with Display Dock
- Microsoft to live-stream Tuesday's Surface Pro 4, Lumia event
- What we expect from Microsoft's massive device launch: new Surfaces, Lumias, and Band
- Strike now while Apple iPhone 6s prices are cheapest or face paying more
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW