Telstra Corporation T6
Latest Next G prepaid handset, boasting the Blue Tick for excellent coverage in rural areas.
- Decent features for the asking price, Blue Tick certified, simple interface, microSD card slot
- Design and look could be improved, display isn't fantastic, no 3.5mm headphone jack
At this price, Telstra's T6 is reasonable value and it boasts some good features. However, there are better designed handsets in this segment of the phone market.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- ZTE T815 Tempo Prepaid Mobile Phone 59.00
Telstra's latest prepaid Next G handset aims to spice up a normally drab market segment. Offering a reasonable number of features for a low price, the T6 represents decent value when combined with Telstra's prepaid plans. However, there are better designed low-end handsets available.
Manufactured by ZTE but Telstra branded, the T6 boasts an unremarkable design. Its shape is particularly annoying: the bottom of the handset is sloped backwards and the edges tend to dig into your fingers at times. The gloss black and silver edging are nice touches, but the T6 doesn't really do enough to distinguish itself from the pack aesthetically.
The controls and keypad are both straightforward. The raised navigational pad feels reasonably comfortable, but the buttons and keypad produce an annoying click each time they are pressed. Thankfully, its interface is easy to use. It borrows inspiration from other manufacturers and has a standard 3x3 grid for the main menu and a list format for submenus.
The T6 is a prepaid handset, so it's aimed at consumers switching to the Next G network for the first time but aren't willing to pay a premium to do so. Its main appeal lies in the fact that it offers full use of Mobile FOXTEL and BigPond services, including Sensis Search, Yellow Pages and WhereIs mobile. We were impressed by the speed, especially when streaming mobile TV — the T6 didn't suffer from any noticeable lag. Call quality is fair and the hands-free speakerphone is quite loud. The T6 has Telstra's Blue Tick, meaning it's recommended by the telco for use in rural areas.
Considering the content the Next G network offers, the T6 is a little disappointing in delivering it. The display doesn't have a great viewing angle and isn't as crisp and clear as we'd have liked, and the quality of the included headphones is poor. A2DP Bluetooth is an option though, while a microSD card slot underneath the battery provides more storage. There is no card included in the sales package, but the slot supports microSDHC cards of up to 4GB in size.
The T6's feature list is impressive considering the asking price. A 2-megapixel camera, FM radio, Bluetooth, media player, video calling over the Next G network and a range of PIM functions are all included — a vast range of options that aren't normally found on handsets in the lower end of the market.
Also worth a mention is Telstra's code-reader application. This software allows you to take a photograph of QR (Quick Response) codes, which are often found on advertisements and posters. By simply scanning the code using the T6's camera you can access further information about a particular product or service.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Kogan Agora 4G Pro review: the final word on Kogan's best smartphone
- 2 Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet (LTE) review: The tablet of choice for anyone on Android
- 3 Bose SoundLink Mini II Bluetooth speaker review
- 4 Apple MacBook Air 2015 review: Only better with time
- 5 Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series notebook
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Optus is shutting down its 2G network, prompts customers to upgrade
- Is the smartphone market saturated?
- Not all Lumia smartphones will get an upgrade to Windows 10
- Motorola's revamped Moto range is coming to Australia
- OnePlus 2 goes official from $329
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Network EngineerNSW