Ten Technology naviPlay
- Convenient, easy to pair with a Bluetooth device, flip out stand, can also act as an iPod dock
- Slightly expensive, build quality, average sound quality
The TEN naviPlay BT is ideal for those who want to wirelessly stream music from their iPod at home, but it isn't without issues
Price$ 149.95 (AUD)
The TEN Technology naviPlay BT is a portable, Bluetooth stereo adaptor for iPods that wirelessly transmits a stereo audio signal to a compatible A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) device. It features interchangeable clips to suit all iPods, a fold out stand, and the ability to double as an iPod dock.
The naviPlay BT is a simple device to set up and use. Users simply dock their iPod in the cradle, and pair the unit with their wireless device. We tested the naviPlay BT with the Motorola S805 Bluetooth DJ Headphones and found that pairing is quick and easy. Holding down the power button for eight seconds places the naviPlay BT into pairing mode. There are two indicator light next to the power button; one signifying battery life and power, and the other Bluetooth status. When in pairing mode, the Bluetooth light blinks green and red. When pairing is complete the light will blink green. The naviPlay BT connects to the closest Bluetooth device in range when in pairing mode, so be sure to turn off all other Bluetooth devices to avoid any confusion. If a password input is required on the receiving device (such as a mobile phone), the unit uses the default '0000' code.
Once a connection is established, music is ready to be streamed. We used an iPod nano to stream our music and the results were favourable, although not outstanding. Audio quality is average and we experienced a slight hissing noise in the background. This was only evident at high volume levels though and wasn't a huge issue. Naturally, streaming music via A2DP is certainly not as crisp as when using a wired connection, but we still felt the sound quality of the naviPlay BT was slightly poorer than Sony's TMR-BT10.
The design of the naviPlay BT is a mixed bag, as although the fold out stand is an excellent idea, build quality is an issue. The white plastic does match the iPod style but it feels flimsy and is not as sturdy as we would have liked. Battery life is rated at up to 10 hours of continuous use before requiring a recharge, which can be achieved by either an iPod USB or FireWire cable connected to your PC, or an AC iPod adaptor. The dock connector sits at the rear of the naviPlay and when connected to your PC can act as a dock for charging and synchronising your iPod.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Sydney Airport lost property auction: you'll be amazed at what some people left behind
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTMicrosoft Enterprise Project Management - Technical ConsultantACT
- FTFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- FTPrincipal Business Consultant- Wealth ManagementNSW
- CCCA Gen Model Management-Oracle RDBMS, Oracle Solaris, TTNNSW
- CCNetwork Technology SpecialistVIC
- CCSenior Integration Specialist - IP NetworkVIC
- CCCustomer Service RepresentativeQLD
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- CCBI-Business Intelligence Technical LeadNSW
- CCPersonal AssistantVIC
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- FTAutomation Tester- C#, Selenium | Cloud Based Finance SolutionsNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Loutus Notes) 160815/SA/102Asia
- CCOracle/Java/Applications DeveloperACT
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- FTApplication Support ManagerNSW
- CCSolution Designer - Windows UpgradeNSW
- CCSenior Project Specialist - Network IPVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/AP/781Asia
- CCSoftware test engineer - Telecom/NetworkACT
- CCProgram SchedulerVIC
- CCData Migration SpecialistSA
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCImplementation and Deployment ManagerNSW
- CCEnterprise ArchitectNSW