Tenebril GhostSurf 2006 Platinum
- Ease of use, Interface, Good features list
- Browser may need to be reconfigured
If you are looking for an easy to use security program for your Internet browser, look no further than GhostSurf.
Price$ 69.95 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 3 stores)
While we wouldn't for a minute want to imply that our readers peruse anything racier than the GoodGearGuide site when surfing the internet, that doesn't mean you want any old Tom, Dick or Harry to see your online habits. GhostSurf 2006 Platinum aims to soothe this and a number of other privacy concerns.
Once you've installed the program and gone through some enthusiastic requests for registration details, GhostSurf presents an intuitive interface with five options to tighten up your computer security. We really liked the useability of this program; even if you've never had much experience with these type of security programs you shouldn't have any trouble with GhostSurf.
The Privacy Control Center enables you to adjust the level of information given out by your PC while you browse the net. You can block cookies, encrypt data and root your connection through anonymous hubs so your IP address is hidden.
Be warned, however, that your browser will need to be reconfigured if it's Netscape or Firefox - IE and Opera users need not worry on this score - and our web connection appeared to slow down slightly on the top two privacy levels. A few pages even failed to load, claiming not to recognise our now-disguised browser.
Other options include AdArmor - a useful resource for blocking pop-ups, page resizings, website music and the like - and SpyCatcher, an antispyware facility that can be instructed to scan your PC at regular intervals.
Personal Data Vault provides password-protected storage for sensitive data and, finally, the excellent TracksCleaner enables you to wipe away traces of your surfing, as well as any files you may wish to see the back of. It offers a variety of wiping strengths, from the merely adequate to military-grade paranoia.
Tenebril's GhostSurf 2006 Platinum offers peace of mind and ease of use at a reasonable price - just remember that privacy comes at a slight cost in surfing convenience.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung's Galaxy Alpha review: A peek into the Galaxy S6
- 2 Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro hybrid Ultrabook
- 3 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 4 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 5 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Why is Microsoft updating Windows PCs for a security bug on the server?
- Prices for 4K monitors sink below $500
- Apple's $450 million e-books settlement gets final approval
- Reports: EU taking first step towards breaking up Google
- US man sentenced for hacking POS systems at Subway
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTPartnership Manager - MediaNSW
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- CCWeb / Mobile Developer - Magento - HTML5, CSS - Excellent CMS SkillsNSW
- FTMarketing Solutions ManagerNSW
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Port Augusta / Whyalla AreaSA
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Echuca AreaVIC
- FTChief Information Officer - CSIROACT
- FTProgram Manager - Integration & SolutionsNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- CCStrategic Partner ManagerNSW
- FTDigital Account ManagerNSW
- FTSEO Content ExecutiveVIC