THQ Warhammer 40,000: Squad Command
- Makes good use of the Warhammer 40k franchise, fun and engaging turn-based action
- Missions can be hard, the pace of the game can slow to a crawl at points
For Warhammer 40K fans, this game's a no-brainer but even if you're unfamiliar with the franchise, Squad Command is a quality turn-based strategy game that deserves serious consideration.
Price$ 69.95 (AUD)
Whether you're new to the Warhammer 40K universe or a hardcore vet, you owe it to yourself to check out Squad Command. This turn-based strategy game is a great addition to the franchise and should tide you over until the inevitable release of Dawn of War 2.
Step by step
Squad Command plays out far differently than Dawn of War and its many expansion packs. It's a turn-based affair, so the battles are more methodical and slower paced. You start out with a squad of various units which range from standard Space Marines to vehicles; every unit possesses a set number of action points that they expend each turn to perform actions like movement and attacks.
Most levels require you to completely destroy every single enemy unit though there are some varied objectives like blowing up specific targets. The graphics are a little muddy but they get the job done and the controls are pretty slick, though panning around the levels can be a bit of a chore.
With the lights out...
We also didn't like the mission difficulty, which can be pretty brutal -- be prepared to replay missions often. There's also a thick fog of war that covers the playing field and you constantly come under attack from hidden foes, which can slow the pace of the game down. Despite this frustration, however, we found ourselves wanting to return to the game over and over again.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Kogan Agora 4G Pro review: the final word on Kogan's best smartphone
- 2 Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet (LTE) review: The tablet of choice for anyone on Android
- 3 Bose SoundLink Mini II Bluetooth speaker review
- 4 Apple MacBook Air 2015 review: Only better with time
- 5 Lenovo ThinkPad T550 laptop
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Angry Birds 2 is the 'sequel' you've been waiting for
- Rising Thunder is a PC-exclusive robot brawler built by Street Fighter talent
- Nintendo's President Iwata's death comes as firm tries to move to mobile
- Batman: Arkham Knight (PC) review: Holy squandered potential, Batman
- Batman: Arkham Knight: How bad are the issues? Pretty bad.
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Network EngineerNSW
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW