THQ WWE Smackdown Vs. Raw 2008
- Nice graphics and detail in recreating the superstars
- Skull-crushing loading times, gameplay seems repetitive at times
If you're a fan of the franchise or just really love throwing men and pinning them to the ground then this game is for you. But it's not a title for the casual gamer.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2008 surpasses the 2007 version while still remaining true to the spirit of the sport. Although there are some problems, it does a great job of giving wrestling fans a chance to live the life of a wrestling superstar.
With a sport that's so dependent upon the athlete's individual personalities and outward appearance, it's important that the designers do a good job of digitising these wrestling superstars. This isn't Madden where you can hide a player in a football helmet: You can't just recycle The Rock's body and paste Carlito's head on it. Thankfully, the digital versions of the wrestlers look almost as good as their real-life counterparts.
The wrestling action is buttery smooth and the wrestlers control fluidly, making it easy to do the basics like kicking and punching. Some of the harder maneuvers can tax your fingers, especially the signature moves--franchise veterans won't have any issues but those new to the games will.
This brings up one issue with the game: unless you're a big pro wrestling fan, this game probably won't have much appeal to you. That's fine as the game is obviously targeting the WWE fanatics but just be warned that your enjoyment of the game is going to be directly tied to how heavily invested you are in the shows and characters.
You also need to be a diehard fan to endure the insane load times. It got so bad that at times, we felt as if we had been transported back in time and were playing a PS game.
As good as it gets
Still, there's no denying that WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2008 is a wrestling fan's dream come true. There is a surprising amount of depth in the game, from the WWE 24/7 mode where players take a no-name wrestler all the way up through the ranks, to the robust and endlessly complicated create a character mode, the game has enough content to keep a dedicated gamer busy for a long time.
This is definitely not a title for the casual gamer, but if you're a fan of the franchise or just really love throwing half-naked men off ladders and pinning them to the ground, then WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2008 is about as good as it gets.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Latest News Articles
- This week in games: Diablo 4 whispers, Civilization VI launch
- The Nintendo Switch is a radical mash-up of consoles and gaming handhelds
- Halo Wars 2 hands-on preview: Blitz mode's thrilling twists could trigger an RTS revival
- The Xbox One's first email app is here, and it's not Outlook
- This week in games: Tyranny snags a release date, polygonal Lara Croft returns
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCProject SchedulerVIC
- FTProfessional Learning Facilitator - Information ManagementVIC
- CCBusiness Intelligence - DeveloperACT
- FTMigration Release ManagerACT
- TPSalesforce DeveloperQLD
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/Oracle/XML) 161018/JP/922Asia
- FTDevOps EngineerVIC
- CCTest Analyst : AutomationNSW
- FTSenior UX DesignerAsia
- TPSenior Full Stack .NET Developer - AngularJSNSW
- CCSenior Front End DeveloperQLD
- CCCyber Security Analyst - TelcoVIC
- TPSoftware EngineerWA
- FTBusiness/Technical Consultant (CPM)QLD
- CCSenior Technology Specialist - IPVPN Edge and Internet EdgeVIC
- CCMicrosoft Dynamics AX Solution Architect (Permanent and/or Contract Option)QLD
- FTSenior Service Delivery ManagerVIC
- CCNetwork and Security Design EngineerNSW
- FTHands-on Service Desk Team LeadNSW
- FTSenior programmer / ProgrammerAsia
- TPEDRMS Project ManagerVIC
- FTDevOps EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Murex DeveloperVIC
- TPChange Manager | GovernmentQLD