Widescreen, entry-level GPS
- Slimline design, 4.3in widescreen, ease of use, EasyPort mount, TomTom HOME software, Map Share, Help Me! safety menu
- No included AC adapter
The XL adds a larger display to the already fantastic ONE unit. The new EasyPort mount and TomTom’s Map Share feature make this an enticing unit.
Price$ 449.00 (AUD)
Formerly the ONE XL, TomTom has slightly re-branded its entry-level widescreen GPS unit. The XL remains almost identical to the ONE (4th Edition), with the exception of the 4.3in widescreen display. Like its little brother, it also features an ultra-compact design and an all-new EasyPort mount, and it offers access to exclusive TomTom functions like MapShare and the TomTom HOME service.
Despite the inclusion of a much larger display than the ONE (4th Edition), the XL remains a compact unit. It will fit into most pockets and can be easily stored in a glove box compartment or the centre console in most vehicles. TomTom has a clear focus on portability with its entry-level models, and the XL once again fits the bill — it's ideal for those who have multiple vehicles.
The new EasyPort window mount can be left attached to the unit and folded flat after use, meaning the XL is easy to pocket or store with the mount still attached. The circular lock makes it easy to mount to your car window, and you can tilt the unit in multiple directions.
The XL interface is largely similar to previous ONE models. It has clearly labelled and colourful icons and is easy to use. When adjusting certain preferences or settings and saving them, the screen goes back to the map display. This is annoying as you have to navigate all the way through the menu again should you wish to alter any other options.
The XL filters street names by suburbs, narrowing down your search results to a manageable number. The navigational experience remains superb, with highly detailed maps, clear voice instructions and quick rerouting times. The XL also performs excellently in obtaining and maintaining a clear GPS signal (even with an obscured view of the sky). It generally took less than half a minute to get up and running after switching the unit on.
Most of the XL's operations can be accessed via the main menu, which is split into two pages. From here you simply tap the "Navigate To..." button. You can further narrow down your search when looking for a specific address, as the XL allows you to navigate to a city centre, specific street and house number, crossing or intersection, or postcode.
The maps on the unit are very detailed and can be zoomed in and out easily. You can also show remaining time, remaining distance, arrival time, current time, street name and speed. The status bar can be set to display either horizontally or vertically — the latter is ideal for the widescreen display of this model. If you happen to miss the last voice instruction, you can tap the left-hand side of the status bar to repeat it.
The XL supports TomTom's new Map Share feature. In addition to corrections and improvements to the maps being uploaded every month by other TomTom users, Map Share allows you to make adjustments to maps through the unit itself. You can add POIs, update roads, edit phone numbers and add new streets. This information can be shared with other TomTom users via the included TomTom HOME software.
TomTom's 'Help Me' safety feature is included. This helps you navigate (either by car or on foot) to a multitude of services such as police stations, hospitals, mechanics, public transport and pharmacies. It even includes first aid, traffic regulation, and repair and maintenance information. In addition, the XL comes preloaded with fixed speed and red-light camera warnings.
Battery life is rated at up to three hours. An AC charger isn't included in the sales package, so you'll have to charge the unit via the USB cable or cigarette lighter adapter.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Venom Blackbook Zero 14 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
- Google's Pixel Launcher leak hints at the demise of the Nexus brand
- It's official: iOS 10 launches with huge improvements to iMessage, Apple Music, Siri, and more
- Goodbye GPS? DARPA preparing alternative position-tracking technology
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTDatabase DeveloperACT
- FTRuby on Rails DeveloperQLD
- FTEnterprise ArchitectQLD
- CCSenior Technical Consultant - MicrosoftACT
- FTSenior Functional Consultant - Data Analytics - TelcoVIC
- FTNetwork Services ManagerQLD
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Positive Vetting, NV2 or NV1 required!!!!SA
- FTSeeking all Java Developers!QLD
- CCIT Senior Business AnalystNSW
- TPSoftware EngineerWA
- CCInfrastructure Test Lead - Contract 6-8 wks initially - IT Services - North RydeNSW
- FTDirector, Centre for Cyber Security SolutionsVIC
- FTProject CoordinatorVIC
- FTSystems AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior ConsultantNSW
- FTDatabase DeveloperACT
- CCNetwork and Cloud SMENSW
- TPWintel EngineerVIC
- CCApplication PackagerNSW
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- CCServiceNow Specialist - Administration and DevelopmentVIC
- FTFull Stack DeveloperQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst- Digital & agileNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst- Data GovernanceNSW