Topaz Labs Adjust
Topaz Adjust offers a quick way to make images more dynamic, by manipulating their exposure, contrast and saturation.
- Excellent preset system, adaptive exposure and saturation sliders for greater effect
- No CMYK, more dramatic effects bring out image noise, Photoshop’s Adjustment panel offers many of the same effects
Topaz Adjust doesn’t offer any creative tools that Photoshop CS4 doesn’t already have, but its swift workflow and more complete preset system allow users to swiftly make their photos ‘pop’.
Price$ 99.99 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
Note: Pricing for this product is in US$.
Topaz Adjust offers a quick way to make images more dynamic, by manipulating their exposure, contrast and saturation. It doesn’t offer any creative tools that Photoshop CS4 doesn’t already have, but its swift workflow and more complete preset system allow users to swiftly make their photos ‘pop’.
Topaz Adjust has controls spread across five tabs: Presets, Exposure, Details, Colour and Noise. The Presets are the key to Adjust’s usefulness, offering adjustments from the simple Exposure Correction and Mild Color Pop to the dramatic Spicify (see below) and the over-the-top Psychedelic. You can also create your own.
From here, you can tweak exposure, saturation, hue, contrast, brightness, and levels of detail. Exposure and saturation are what Topaz Labs calls ‘adaptive’: the plug-ins divides the image into a number of regions that you select, then adjusts each for more contrast in each effect. You can also work from scratch, ignoring the presets.
Photoshop includes the Adjustment controls to achieve similar effects – though without ‘adaptive’ exposure and saturation. In CS4, Adobe made these controls easier to use through the Adjustments panel. But presets in Photoshop are for individual Adjustments, while Topaz Adjust’s combine parameters.
This means it’s quick to select a preset and then modify settings. Having to enter and work within the Topaz Adjust dialog box is slower than moving sliders in the Adjustment panel, but it works as a Smart Filter and in 16-bit modes (but not CMYK).
The presets make it easier to create dramatic images, though noise can be a problem. The Noise tab accesses noise-reduction technology to reduce this, but it’s not always enough.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Motorola Moto X Style review: A no compromise flagship
- 2 Oppo R7 Plus review: a stellar sub-$600 phablet
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7) 4G review: Samsung does a lot more with a lot less
- 4 Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) review: Is it worth an extra $100?
- 5 Jawbone UP3 review: 3 months with Jawbone's best fitness tracker
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Surface Pro 4 on sale at Microsoft's Sydney store on November 12
- Microsoft makes serious smartphone play with Lumia 950 range
- Clothing retailer Uniqlo uses brain waves to match customers with t-shirts
- With Safe Harbor gone, the hard work on data transfers starts now
- Microsoft enters the notebook market with Surface Book
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC