TOPCOM WebT@lker 5000
- Ease-of-use and setup, large buttons, flip up colour display, built for Skype, good call quality, easy software update
- Incompatible with other VoIP programs/services, plastic casing
The Webt@lker 5000 is a convenient, easy-to-use desktop telephone that incorporates Skype. It doesn't work with other VoIP services, but if you're an avid Skype user, there is plenty to like about this handset.
Price$ 263.00 (AUD)
The TOPCOM Webt@lker 5000 is a corded desktop phone that connects to Skype without the need for a PC. Featuring a flip-up colour display, a large keypad and echo cancellation technology, the Webt@lker 5000 is an excellent, easy-to-use VoIP phone.
Essentially, the Webt@lker is just like any other VoIP phone, but it is configured and built specifically for Skype. Unfortunately, this means it won't work with any other VoIP client, nor does it double as a standard landline telephone. The positives outweigh the negatives though, and what's left is an excellent device for Skype users.
The best feature of the Webt@lker is its 2.4in flip up, colour display. Its brightness and clarity is excellent, and it can be adjusted at various angles. It displays plenty of relevant information including time, date, available Skype credit and Skype contacts. As it's fully integrated with Skype, you can change your Skype status, add contacts, and access Voicemail - all through the phone itself.
The outer casing of the phone is a matte black and silver plastic, and although it's not an ugly device by any means, the plastic doesn't look or feel as solid as it should. The large keypad and buttons are a highlight though; they are easy to press and comfortable when entering any other information, such as passwords and usernames.
Ease-of-use and setup is notable. Simply plug the phone into your router using the included Ethernet cable and connect to AC power and the Webt@lker is ready to use. Conveniently, TOPCOM includes AC power jacks for all continents in the sales package.
Voice quality is excellent. Calls were crisp and clear and our callers didn't complain of any echo or distortion - both regular complaints with the Skype service. The hands-free speakerphone was also loud and clear and conveniently activates automatically if you don't lift the handset. Do keep in mind though that the quality of Skype calls depends on the quality of your Internet connection and service.
For SkypeIn calls, the Webt@lker has three ringtones to choose from, but none of them are traditional ring styles. The volume is fairly loud at its highest setting and the handset also boasts keypad and notification tones - both of which can be turned off. An excellent feature is the software update; simply select it from the main menu and any new software or firmware is automatically downloaded and updated on the handset.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- 2 Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- 3 Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- 4 LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Google's Espresso networking tech takes SD-WAN to internet scale
- Netgear expands its Orbi Wi-Fi system into a product family, adding two less-expensive models
- Chips coming by June will herald the next generation of Wi-Fi
- Plume's 'routerless' mesh network blankets your home in Wi-Fi with an army of tiny pods
- Netgear Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router goes all the way to 11
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPSenior Business Analyst - GISQLD
- TPProject Manager. Enterprise wide IT ProjectsNSW
- CCVirtualisation / Infrastructure ArchitectACT
- CCSenior Full-Stack Developer (Digital Transformation Project)QLD
- CCCitrix SpecialistACT
- FTHelp Desk/ Desktop SupportSA
- CCProject Manager - DigitalisationQLD
- TPSenior Project Manager | DETQLD
- FTProduct Manager - Machine To MachineVIC
- CCService Delivery Analyst - Port MacquarieNSW
- FTSoftware Engineer - Build/Image MaintenanceACT
- CCSAP Business Finance LeadQLD
- FTGeospatial Data AnalystVIC
- FTJava Team LeadVIC
- FTFront End .Net Developer. Permanent jobACT
- FTSenior ICT Project ManagerNSW
- FTTIBCO DeveloperVIC
- CCUser ResearchNSW
- FTTechnical WriterACT
- FTFinance AnalystNSW
- FTSharepoint Support AnalystVIC
- TPBI AnalystQLD
- TPData AnalystVIC
- FTTechnical Expert | 3mth+contractVIC
- CCSenior Project OfficerNSW