Topfield TBF100HD set-top box
A small set-top box that can be used as a recorder and media player
- Works as a recorder and media player if you plug in a USB hard drive
- Sluggish channel changes
- Remote isn't great
This inexpensive Topfield set-top box allows you to tune in to SD and HD digital TV broadcasts easily. It even has a USB port so that you can plug in a hard drive and use it as a recorder and media player. Great for anyone who doesn't want to splash out on a large PVR.
Price$ 69.00 (AUD)
Topfield's TBF100HD is budget set-top box device with basic functionality and a small size. It's a useful device to consider if you want to add digital TV reception to an old TV, or even if you want a tuner for a caravan or garage.
There isn't much to this unit at all. You get a small box with a channel display on the front and some ports on the back, as well as remote control. Connections include HDMI, composite video and audio, a USB port and two antenna ports (one which is a pass-through). It ships with a small 12V power adapter rather than an internal power supply, and it's a breeze to set up and use. For our tests, we plugged in a rooftop antenna and connected it to a TV using both HDMI and composite connections (not at the same time of course).
When you switch it on for the first time, the set-top box asks you to confirm the language and country details, and it does a sweep to detect the channels in your area. For us, the scan took only a few minutes and it found all of the channels it was supposed to. it's an HD tuner, so this included channels such as One HD and ABD News 24. Channel changes were sluggish compared to many new tuners we've seen, but since this is such an inexpensive box, we weren't surprised by this. Picture quality was decent and signal quality was excellent for all channels except ABC, which was a little erratic in our environment.
Because this device is only a set-top box, you can't use it to record any shows unless you plug in a USB hard drive. Once you do, you'll be able to hit record manually, or use the timer (or EPG) for any shows that you want to watch later on — you'll even be able to use time-shifting. We had no problems using a regular, 500GB, NTFS-based USB hard drive with the Topfield. It was able to record programs without requiring a format. We were also able to play media files (AVI and MP4) off the hard drive through the set-top box's media player function, as well as listen to MP3s.
The remote control could be better. It has very small playback control buttons that are hard to use and the buttons are very squishy overall. But apart from that, this little set-top box is ideal if all you want is something basic through which to watch and record digital TV, although you'll need to supply your own external hard drive for the latter. It's also a decent media player.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- Amazon's faster new Fire TV Stick comes with an Alexa-enabled voice remote
- 4K Chromecast Ultra details leak ahead of Google event
- Sonos comes to the Apple store, but what does that mean for Beats speakers?
- Plex Cloud lets you say goodbye to your always-on home media server
- Sony's first 4K Blu-ray player reminds you what a steal the Xbox One S truly is
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCIT Security ArchitectACT
- FTSenior Project Manager | TelecommunicationVIC
- CCVideo Conference Support Officer- VoIP, LAN, WAN, RemedyNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst with change management experienceACT
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCLAN ConsultantWA
- FTLinux Systems AdministratorNZ
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- FTTechnical Business Analyst | Marketing ServicesNSW
- FTInfrastructure Solutions ArchitectACT
- FTIT Pre-Sales EngineerSA
- CCBI Reporting AnalystACT
- CCSenior Infrastrcture Project ManagerACT
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- FTDesktop/Application SupportVIC
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCeCommerce Project ManagerNSW
- CCICT Security AuditorACT
- FTNetApp Storage ConsultantWA
- CCInformatica Developer (MDM)NSW