Toshiba Encore Windows tablet (preview)
The Toshiba Encore is an 8in tablet that runs the full version of Microsoft's Windows 8.1 operating system
- Runs full version of Windows 8.1
- Competitive price
- Fast boot times
- Screen isn't very high res
- No full-sized USB port
The Toshiba Encore is a competitively priced 8in tablet that runs the full version of Microsoft's Windows 8.1 operating system.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
Windows tablets haven't been as widely well received or adopted as their iOS and Android competitors, but Toshiba's latest attempt could be about to change that. The Toshiba Encore is an 8in tablet that runs the full version of Microsoft's Windows 8.1 operating system.
The key aspect of the Toshiba Encore is that it runs the full version of Windows 8.1, not Microsoft's downscaled RT version. While Windows 8.1 may lack iOS and Android's wide range of mobile apps, it can run any Windows desktop application out there. This immediately gives it a big advantage, especially to business or corporate users who may be restricted in what programs they can run.
Toshiba will include a full version of Microsoft Office Home & Student 2013 pre-installed on the Encore, attempting to make it appeal to users who want to get some real work done. The pre-installed software package includes Microsoft's Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote applications, but lacks the Outlook e-mail client. Microsoft also includes 7GB of free SkyDrive cloud storage, as well as 30 free Skype minutes.
Aside from its software, the other key feature of the Toshiba Encore is its processor. It's one of the first devices on the market to run a new Intel Bay Trail chipset, a 1.4GHz quad-core Z 3740 processor. Toshiba claims the chip provides power that's comparable to a regular, mid-range laptop, and says the Encore will boot in just 300-milliseconds.
The Toshiba Encore has 2GB of RAM on board and is available in 16GB and 32GB models. The 8in screen has a rather low resolution of 1280x800, though it's worth noting that this is slightly higher than Apple's current iPad mini (1024x768). Other features include a microSD card slot for memory expansion, a micro-HDMI port for outputting to a high definition monitor or television, and built-in GPS.
The Toshiba Encore has dual cameras — a 2-megapixel front-facing camera for video calling apps like Skype, and a rear-facing 8-megapixel camera that can record full HD, 1080p video. Toshiba says the battery will last up to seven hours.
The Toshiba Encore will be available in Australia from the first week of November in a light gold colour, pictured below. The 32GB model is priced at $399, while the 64GB model will retail for $469.
Join the PC World newsletter!
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Google Daydream VR headset
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Cisco's Spark Board looks like an iPad -- and acts like one
- Lenovo's ThinkPad X1 Tablet modules add features but limit functionality
- Slump continues as tablet markets records worst quarter since 2012
- Acer puts liquid cooling in its Switch Alpha 12 tablet
- Intel's tablet adventure looking more like its netbook disaster
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPAgile Project Manager. Sharepoint / PeoplesoftNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTLinux Systems EngineerQLD
- FTFull Stack Web Developer .NET or JAVANSW
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW
- FTDigital Strategist - Global Consulting FirmACT
- FTFront End DeveloperQLD
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerNSW
- FTSalesforce AdministratorQLD
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- TPAPS6/EL1 Database Modelling SpecialistACT
- CCData Migration Consultant - LeadNSW
- CCSenior Infrastructure EngineerNSW
- FTProject Manager (Software product development)VIC
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- CCProject / Portfolio SchedulerNSW
- TPBusiness Process Analyst (Newcaslte Based)NSW
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)NSW
- CCFinance Analyst/ Project SpecialistVIC
- CCMarketing SpecialistNSW
- CCFront-End DeveloperQLD
- FTInfrastructure Security Compliance OfficerNSW
- CCData Engineer (SQL/Big Data/Scala)VIC
- CCBusiness Test Lead - BRT/UATNSW