Toshiba Qosmio G10
- Cutting edge, performance
- Cost prohibitive, battery life
A quality notebook for audiovisual enthusiasts with money to burn.
Price$ 5,999.00 (AUD)
The price of the Qosmio (pronounced "koz-mio") might seem like a lot, but this audiovisual enthusiast's dream machine goes a long way to justify the outlay.
It's intended to be a coffee-table all-in-one media centre unit. It has TV playback; timeshifting and recording; DVD player and recorder; plus CD/MP3/photo abilities.
The G10 has a 17" wide-aspect display with extras such as high-brightness dual-lamps and a CSV (Clear Super View) anti-glare coating. These combine to make the display appear very bright and deliver superior viewing angles and a contrast ratio of 500:1. The display has a native resolution of 1440 x9 00 pixels, and it's driven by a 128MB DDR Nvidia GeForce FX Go 5700 graphics controller. The notebook achieved top-notch performance scores in our tests: 12,600 in 3DMark 2001 and an average of 161fps in Unreal Tournament 2003's Face3 map.
The G10 is an ideal candidate for Microsoft's Windows XP Media Center Edition software. A slim remote and infrared extender unit (for controlling things like pay TV set-top boxes) is also included. The output of the built-in Hauppauge analog TV tuner looks good on the LCD, and the G10's composite and S-Video inputs and outputs mean that integrating it with your existing gear is straightforward.
All this AV connectivity is aided by a hybrid of hardware and software technologies that Toshiba calls the "Qosmio Engine". Toshiba includes a Trident S3 super video processor that works together with the company's pre-installed Toshiba image enhancement utilities to perform many video enhancement tasks, including de-interlacing, dynamic colour adjustment and digital noise reduction.
The Qosmio Engine also helps drive the Qosmio player--a fast-boot Linux-based TV/CD/DVD playback interface controlled by dedicated playback buttons just above the keyboard. With it you can turn on your "TV" in about five seconds, without having to load Windows. Toshiba is planning to enable more functions, such as TV timeshifting, through free software updates.
The Qosmio G10 has four USB 2.0 slots and a single FireWire port for attaching peripherals. It includes Fast Ethernet, a 56Kbps modem and 802.11b/g Wi-Fi for connectivity, plus a multi-card reader and two 5400rpm hard disks. It has a double-layer SuperMulti DVD burner in addition to Intel's 2GHz Intel Pentium M processor (coupled with 1GB of 333MHz PC2700 DDR SDRAM).
Audio is looked after with built in harman/kardon speakers and a digital audio output. Toshiba offers various warranty upgrade options, but a one-year warranty (with courier pickup and return service) is standard.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- Why my older Chromebook has a right to live, even if Google says it's over
- Which is the best Mac to learn programming and coding: Buying advice for Mac coders
- A Surface all-in-one PC may lead a Microsoft hardware refresh in October
- Hands-on with Asus ROG G752 and GeForce GTX 1070 (or holy crap this thing is fast!)
- Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1080, 1070 and 1060 for laptops break the mobile mold
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / Kronos)NSW
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 160927/JP/551Asia
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- CCICT Security AuditorACT
- CCBusiness Analyst - Telecom ProjectNSW
- FTDesktop/Application SupportVIC
- FTInfrastructure Solutions ArchitectACT
- CCSenior Infrastrcture Project ManagerACT
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager - DCR ProjectNSW
- CCInformatica Developer (MDM)NSW
- FTTeam Leader Full Stack, Python, FinanceNSW
- CCBI Reporting AnalystACT
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager | TelecommunicationVIC
- FTMDM EngineerNSW
- CCSolutions ArchitectACT
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- FTTest SpecialistSA
- FTScrum Master | High Profile FintechNSW
- CCNetwork and Security EngineerNSW
- FTTechnical Business Analyst | Marketing ServicesNSW