Toshiba Qosmio G10
- Cutting edge, performance
- Cost prohibitive, battery life
A quality notebook for audiovisual enthusiasts with money to burn.
Price$ 5,999.00 (AUD)
The price of the Qosmio (pronounced "koz-mio") might seem like a lot, but this audiovisual enthusiast's dream machine goes a long way to justify the outlay.
It's intended to be a coffee-table all-in-one media centre unit. It has TV playback; timeshifting and recording; DVD player and recorder; plus CD/MP3/photo abilities.
The G10 has a 17" wide-aspect display with extras such as high-brightness dual-lamps and a CSV (Clear Super View) anti-glare coating. These combine to make the display appear very bright and deliver superior viewing angles and a contrast ratio of 500:1. The display has a native resolution of 1440 x9 00 pixels, and it's driven by a 128MB DDR Nvidia GeForce FX Go 5700 graphics controller. The notebook achieved top-notch performance scores in our tests: 12,600 in 3DMark 2001 and an average of 161fps in Unreal Tournament 2003's Face3 map.
The G10 is an ideal candidate for Microsoft's Windows XP Media Center Edition software. A slim remote and infrared extender unit (for controlling things like pay TV set-top boxes) is also included. The output of the built-in Hauppauge analog TV tuner looks good on the LCD, and the G10's composite and S-Video inputs and outputs mean that integrating it with your existing gear is straightforward.
All this AV connectivity is aided by a hybrid of hardware and software technologies that Toshiba calls the "Qosmio Engine". Toshiba includes a Trident S3 super video processor that works together with the company's pre-installed Toshiba image enhancement utilities to perform many video enhancement tasks, including de-interlacing, dynamic colour adjustment and digital noise reduction.
The Qosmio Engine also helps drive the Qosmio player--a fast-boot Linux-based TV/CD/DVD playback interface controlled by dedicated playback buttons just above the keyboard. With it you can turn on your "TV" in about five seconds, without having to load Windows. Toshiba is planning to enable more functions, such as TV timeshifting, through free software updates.
The Qosmio G10 has four USB 2.0 slots and a single FireWire port for attaching peripherals. It includes Fast Ethernet, a 56Kbps modem and 802.11b/g Wi-Fi for connectivity, plus a multi-card reader and two 5400rpm hard disks. It has a double-layer SuperMulti DVD burner in addition to Intel's 2GHz Intel Pentium M processor (coupled with 1GB of 333MHz PC2700 DDR SDRAM).
Audio is looked after with built in harman/kardon speakers and a digital audio output. Toshiba offers various warranty upgrade options, but a one-year warranty (with courier pickup and return service) is standard.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Apple to replace defective USB-C cables that shipped with some 12-inch MacBooks
- ASUS launches world’s first liquid-cooled gaming laptop
- Apple might show off iPhone 5se and iPad Air 3 at March 15 event
- Monster gaming laptop from CybertronPC packs latest desktop hardware
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCSolution Architect - .NET environmentACT
- FTSenior Mobile Developer - IOSNSW
- CCITIL Release Manager - CBD SYDNEYNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Scrum/Pega SystemsNSW
- FTSenior Portfolio Manager - IT ProjectsNSW
- CCSAP Primavera Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCProject AdvisorNSW
- FTNetwork Engineer | NV2 clearance | Defence projects | Immediate interviewACT
- FTImplementation Consultant, Enterprise SoftwareNSW
- CCImplementation AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - NPPVIC
- FTFront End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamNSW
- CCWindows System Admin, Administrator, Technical SupportNSW
- CCContract System Engineer (Lotus Domin) 160129/SE/vccAsia
- CCSenior Agile Business Analyst - Online/Mobile experienceNSW
- CCAD and FIM EngineerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Digital -PenrithNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Enterprise Software SolutionNSW
- CCBusiness Project Manager - Transformation ProgramNSW
- FTDatabase AdministratorVIC
- CCSenior Android DeveloperNSW
- FTProject Manager | Permanent position | NV1 NV2 cleared | Defence | Great cultureACT
- CCOPA Developer (Oracle Policy Automation)ACT
- FT.NET DeveloperVIC