Toshiba Satellite A100
- Great battery life, Good all rounder
- Comparatively poor performance
The Tecra A7 may be the wiser option as it offers better performance for a similar price, but it depends on whether you value battery life or graphics performance.
Price$ 2,499.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- Satellite A100-LE6 AC Adapter 49.00
The A100 is designed as an all-round notebook that would be a good buy for students, considering its price and specifications. It features an Intel Core Duo Processor T2300 running at 1.66GHz, 512MB DDR2 RAM and a 128MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 graphics processor.
Its LCD panel is a 15.4in TruBrite widescreen with a native resolution of 1280x800, and it looks very good under most light conditions. A SuperMulti, double-layer DVD burner with a maximum speed of 2.4x for DVD + R DL media and a 60GB Serial ATA hard drive complete the storage specs.
In our performance tests, it scored 83 in PC WorldBench 5, and 10,363 in 3DMark 2001SE. When compared to the Toshiba Tecra A7, which costs $80 less and uses an ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics adapter, the A100 lags in 3-D performance by about 2000 points. Its battery life is better than the Tecra A7, lasting 147min under worst case conditions - nearly an hour longer than the A7.
Hotkeys reside on the blue, illuminated trackpad for ease of navigation, as well as on the side of the keyboard. There is also a fingerprint reader, for security.
All the necessary connectivity options have been catered for, including Bluetooth 2.0 EDR (enhanced data rate), a 5-in-1 media reader, FireWire, Infrared with a remote control, 4 x USB 2.0 and Wi-Fi a/b/g.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Motorola Moto X Style review: A no compromise flagship
- 2 Oppo R7 Plus review: a stellar sub-$600 phablet
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7) 4G review: Samsung does a lot more with a lot less
- 4 Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) review: Is it worth an extra $100?
- 5 Jawbone UP3 review: 3 months with Jawbone's best fitness tracker
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Surface Pro 4 on sale at Microsoft's Sydney store on November 12
- Microsoft enters the notebook market with Surface Book
- Hands on: Microsoft's Surface Book is a stunner as both a tablet and a laptop
- Windows 10 device roundup features Lumia smartphones with Display Dock
- As Microsoft focuses on mobile, Windows 10 will be key
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW