Toshiba Satellite A100
- Great battery life, Good all rounder
- Comparatively poor performance
The Tecra A7 may be the wiser option as it offers better performance for a similar price, but it depends on whether you value battery life or graphics performance.
Price$ 2,499.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
- LCD Video Cable For Toshiba Satellite A200 A205... 7.62
The A100 is designed as an all-round notebook that would be a good buy for students, considering its price and specifications. It features an Intel Core Duo Processor T2300 running at 1.66GHz, 512MB DDR2 RAM and a 128MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 graphics processor.
Its LCD panel is a 15.4in TruBrite widescreen with a native resolution of 1280x800, and it looks very good under most light conditions. A SuperMulti, double-layer DVD burner with a maximum speed of 2.4x for DVD + R DL media and a 60GB Serial ATA hard drive complete the storage specs.
In our performance tests, it scored 83 in PC WorldBench 5, and 10,363 in 3DMark 2001SE. When compared to the Toshiba Tecra A7, which costs $80 less and uses an ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics adapter, the A100 lags in 3-D performance by about 2000 points. Its battery life is better than the Tecra A7, lasting 147min under worst case conditions - nearly an hour longer than the A7.
Hotkeys reside on the blue, illuminated trackpad for ease of navigation, as well as on the side of the keyboard. There is also a fingerprint reader, for security.
All the necessary connectivity options have been catered for, including Bluetooth 2.0 EDR (enhanced data rate), a 5-in-1 media reader, FireWire, Infrared with a remote control, 4 x USB 2.0 and Wi-Fi a/b/g.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Acer's new Predator gaming systems are powerful beasts that will also run your VR headset
- Intel's tablet adventure looking more like its netbook disaster
- Apple updates MacBook with new processors, adds Rose Gold
- Hands on with NexDock, the laptop that isn't
- The Surface Pro 4 Type Cover gets fancy with premium Signature Edition
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCInfrastructure Solution Designer - Oracle Exadata/ExalogicVIC
- CCSenior DevOps ConsultantVIC
- FTDigital Project ManagerVIC
- CCTransition Program ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- CCInteraction & Visual - Web DesignerNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectACT
- FTMs Dynamics Nav Support Analyst- Level 1/2WA
- CCInfrastructure Assurance OfficerACT
- CCSnr Technical System Engineer(IBM DB2/WebSphere)160419/STSE/vmtAsia
- FTSenior Revenue Systems Functional AnalystSA
- CCNV2 - System Administration / Application SupportACT
- CCPMO Coordinator- Prince2, Project financialsNSW
- FTProduct Owner - MarketingNSW
- FTDigital Sales Manager - Online MediaNSW
- FTSupport AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Project Manager, SoftwareNSW
- CCMid or Senior Developer - Mobile Applications - (iOS)NSW
- FTVendor Manager / Team Lead - ITIL / ITSMVIC
- FTSupplier Relationship ManagerVIC
- FTTechnical Writer - Trading SystemsNSW
- FTHands-on Service Desk Team Lead | Blackburn | Managed Service ProviderVIC
- CCMicrosoft Server EngineerWA
- CCHi-Portfolio ConsultantNSW
- FTSenior DBA / Team LeadVIC