Toshiba Satellite A100
- Great battery life, Good all rounder
- Comparatively poor performance
The Tecra A7 may be the wiser option as it offers better performance for a similar price, but it depends on whether you value battery life or graphics performance.
Price$ 2,499.00 (AUD)
The A100 is designed as an all-round notebook that would be a good buy for students, considering its price and specifications. It features an Intel Core Duo Processor T2300 running at 1.66GHz, 512MB DDR2 RAM and a 128MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 graphics processor.
Its LCD panel is a 15.4in TruBrite widescreen with a native resolution of 1280x800, and it looks very good under most light conditions. A SuperMulti, double-layer DVD burner with a maximum speed of 2.4x for DVD + R DL media and a 60GB Serial ATA hard drive complete the storage specs.
In our performance tests, it scored 83 in PC WorldBench 5, and 10,363 in 3DMark 2001SE. When compared to the Toshiba Tecra A7, which costs $80 less and uses an ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics adapter, the A100 lags in 3-D performance by about 2000 points. Its battery life is better than the Tecra A7, lasting 147min under worst case conditions - nearly an hour longer than the A7.
Hotkeys reside on the blue, illuminated trackpad for ease of navigation, as well as on the side of the keyboard. There is also a fingerprint reader, for security.
All the necessary connectivity options have been catered for, including Bluetooth 2.0 EDR (enhanced data rate), a 5-in-1 media reader, FireWire, Infrared with a remote control, 4 x USB 2.0 and Wi-Fi a/b/g.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Latest News Articles
- Razer's revamped Blade Pro laptop marries a GeForce GTX 1080 with 4K G-Sync
- Tobii's new eye tracker adds head tracking with an emphasis on PC games
- Apple to announce new Macs at a special event October 27
- HP Omen 17 review: Great gaming performance at a great price
- Acer's swanky Swift 7 launches as the thinnest laptop ever
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCSenior Full Stack Java DeveloperNSW
- CCeCommerce Project ManagerNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCImplementation ManagerVIC
- FTProduct ManagerVIC
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (Oracle/SSADM) 161027/SSA/634Asia
- CCTechnology TrainerNSW
- CCProgram ManagerACT
- FTSenior Consultant Commercial PricingVIC
- FTInformation Architect, DataNSW
- PTService Management AnalystSA
- CCSolution DesignerVIC
- FTSenior Application SupportSA
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/Oracle/XML) 161018/JP/922Asia
- CCContract Junior Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 161013/JP/602Asia
- CCFront End Developer - Mid LevelNSW
- FTCapacity PlannerNSW
- CCHead of Digital (Technology Manager - Digital Transformations)NSW
- FTNetwork Support SpecialistACT
- CCTechnology Training ManagerNSW
- CCFront End Developer (UI) - 12 Month ContractNSW
- FTEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- FTBiomedical Project ManagerSA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (CISCO/IT Security) 161028/AP/142Asia