Toshiba Satellite A65-P126
- Attractive design, large screen, Wi-Fi switch, good sound from speakers
- Slow, poor battery life, no FireWire
The Toshiba Satellite A65-S126 is slow and lacks bundled software, but it's still a good choice if a big hard drive and big screen top your priority list.
Price$ None (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
- LCD Video Cable For Toshiba Satellite A200 A205... 7.63
- Satellite Sauvignon Blanc (In Any Six Price) 9.00
The Toshiba Satellite A65-S126 is a great deal for the sheer number of features: a 15" screen, combination DVD/CD-RW drive and a 60GB hard drive.
Though the blue lid is attractive, this notebook's performance could give you a different kind of blues. Equipped with a 2.8GHz Celeron processor and only 256MB of RAM, the A65-S126 earned an anemic PC WorldBench 5 score of 41. By comparison, laptops equipped with the higher-end 1.6-GHz Pentium M processor, earn an average score of roughly 75. Activities that don't tax the processor, such as email and word processing, should work fine on this machine, but the A65-S126 is not your best bet for a heavy workload. Battery life also could have been a lot better--the A65-S126 lasted only two hours in our tests.
But in features and design, the A65-S126 is a good basic laptop. The keyboard lacks extra buttons and scrolling features, but it's extra firm with great feedback. Considering that the A65-S126 has a large screen, it's a shame it lacks a FireWire port for downloading camcorder video, though you wouldn't want to edit video on a laptop with such a slow processor.
Two conveniences you'll like are the Wi-Fi on/off switch and volume wheel. The laptop's speakers are in the corners of the wrist rest, so you won't block them while typing; the stereo sound is fairly loud. Some aspects of the design could have been implemented a little better. The large battery, for instance, is a tad awkward to remove, and the hard drive cover is a loose piece that could be lost. However, we liked the fixed combination drive's prominent eject button. Only one memory slot is accessible for upgrades.
Toshiba provides little in the way of printed documentation, but a nice PDF manual comes preloaded on the hard drive. The only information it's missing is parts labelling, which can be found on its quick-tour sheet.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Steam updates user reviews to better reflect trends
- Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare goes full sci-fi with space-based gunfights
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- As tablet sales take a dive, analysts expect smartphone vendors to launch convertibles
- HP's new Chromebook 13 has features to match top-line Windows PCs
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTLevel 2 IT Field Systems Engineer/Administrator - Multiple opportunitiesNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/HTML/SQL) 160421/P/903Asia
- FTTrading System QAAsia
- CCProject Coordinator (urgent) - Digital - Blue chip companyNSW
- FTSenior Enterprise Architect, Financial ServicesAsia
- CCCommunication and Change ManagerVIC
- CCTechnical ExpertVIC
- CCHyperion ConsultantNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle/Unix) 160509/AP/395Asia
- CCSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCSenior Implementation AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - Workforce ManagementVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystSA
- FTManager; Enterprise ArchitectureNSW
- CCSr. Business Analyst - ServicePLUSVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager - Payroll IntegrationVIC
- CCScrum MasterNSW
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- FT.NET DeveloperWA
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Data ManagementNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - ICT SecurityNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorACT
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- FTBusiness Intelligence ConsultantSA
- FTSenior Network Engineer | National Systems Integrator & MSP | CBD locationNSW