- Wide range of formats supported, tablet design, larger screen than most
- Slightly low contrast, tinny sound
Some clever design features like dual headphone outputs and swivel screen make up for a lack of volume from the in-built speakers and some minor contrast issues.
Price$ 999.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
DVD players are popping up in an ever-increasing number of luxury cars as a way to keep the kids quiet on long trips, but Toshiba's SD-P2700 portable DVD player offers a more flexible alternative to fixed players.
The small unit measures 26 x 3.5 x 19cm, and features an 8.9" TFT screen running at a resolution of 1024 x 600 pixels. The design looks like a small tablet PC, and the screen can be rotated 180 degrees from its default clamshell position. The silver unit sports a top-loading DVD drive and buttons on the right. There are also buttons on the side of the screen so you can control playback when you the screen is pivoted.
The unit supports more than just DVD video; it can play back WMA and MP3 audio, as well as JPEG images and DivX video. The side of the machine features a SD/MMC/MS slot for flash memory, so you can also view images on the screen.
The bundled 1.5W stereo speakers are a bit tinny, but there are dual headphone sockets, so two people can share a screen or listen to music. Video playback quality is good, and the unit remained stable and responsive during testing. No playback glitches became evident while watching DVDs, and the machine supports DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, DVD-R, Video CD, CD-Audio and CD-R/RW media. The contrast is a little low, and black looks more like a dark shade of grey.
Aside from being able to play DVDs on the screen, there are also S-Video, component and composite outputs so you can use the unit as a conventional DVD player. There's also a composite input and the machine ships with a small remote control, making it ideal for people that travel extensively (and those who don't want to watch hotel in-house movies).
The bundled 4800mAh battery powers the unit for a little more than three hours of playback, which should be adequate for most occasions. A car adapter is also bundled with the kit so you don't have to worry about running out of power while driving, and the package comes with a one-year warranty.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 4 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 5 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Sydney Airport lost property auction: you'll be amazed at what some people left behind
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Business Analyst AgileQLD
- TPProject SchedulerVIC
- TPGIS Developer - 6 month ContractQLD
- FTProject AnalystACT
- FTMS Dynamics DevelopersNSW
- FTSeeking all Java Developers!NSW
- FTSeeking all Java Developers!SA
- CCDB2 System ProgrammerVIC
- TPTeam Leader Project And Quality AssuranceVIC
- FTWeb Support LeadQLD
- FTProcess Documentation AnalystNSW
- FTNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- FTICT ManagerNSW
- TPProject Support Officer - Data and Information ManagementVIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst, Financial ServicesNSW
- TPSenior Test AnalystQLD
- FTApplication Support Analyst - Mortgage SolutionNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- TPSenior Agile Business AnalystVIC
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectSA
- CCIT Business Analyst - UX DesignNSW
- FTMicrosoft Designer / ArchitectVIC
- FTWeb Business AnalystACT