This on-the-go DVD player is a portable powerhouse.
- Full of features, swivels to tablet format, great colour
- Thick, heavy, low screen resolution
If you can look past the form factor and the non-standard screen resolution, the SD-P91SKY is a powerful portable DVD player that will impress.
Price$ 329.00 (AUD)
Toshiba’s SD-P91SKY is a portable DVD player that does not have the resolution of more expensive units, but instead focuses on extra functionality.
With a dark brushed metal exterior and a few hints of chrome, the player is unobtrusive; we imagine it would quickly get hot if left in direct sunlight. It is significantly thicker than many other portable DVD players we have tested, but this is most likely thanks to a battery life of over five hours and extra support for popular video formats.
Despite its large size and above-average weight, the SD-P91SKY is very convenient for long or cramped car or train trips. This is thanks to the flip-around tablet form factor that means the screen can sit flush with the DVD drive, making it easy to place on a lap or even hold in one hand.
The 9in screen has a resolution of 640x220 — which is, oddly enough, not a standard widescreen ratio. As a result there are some scaling artefacts and jaggedness when watching DVDs. Thankfully, there is no ghosting and the colours are as good as we have seen on a portable unit. High contrast and a wide colour range combine in an image that always looks pleasant and vibrant. Sharpness is also acceptable with good levels of facial detail evident in our V for Vendetta test disc. The viewing angle is also good, with a full picture visible up to 45 degrees off-axis vertically and horizontally.
The in-built speakers are passable. Despite being treble-focused they are never scratchy or harsh, though the fact that volume levels are capped quite early may be annoying for some users.
The player has a simple set of controls on the bottom of the screen, though more can be accessed using the bundled remote. A wide range of connectors and inputs means that the SD-P91SKY can be used in many situations. Composite video along with two headphone jacks and a digital coaxial audio connector take care of output, while composite video/audio and a USB2.0 host port are the player’s inputs. The coaxial audio output can carry DTS and Dolby Digital so an external A/V receiver can decode them — though we cannot see the need for a full 5.1 surround setup with a portable player.
The USB interface is functional, if garish and ugly. It supports MP3, JPEG and DivX formats so an external hard drive full of media can be connected for especially tedious journeys.
If you are looking for a portable DVD player with USB functionality — but do not like the laptop-style form factor — have a look at the tablet-style SD-P91SKY.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Sydney Airport lost property auction: you'll be amazed at what some people left behind
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- FTProject Manager | Defence projects | NV1/NV2 cleared | Canberra basedACT
- CCImplementation ManagerVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Linux Sys AdminNSW
- FTImplementation Consultant, Enterprise SoftwareNSW
- FTJunior Software Developer- Complex Tax/ Superannuation SolutionNSW
- CCSenior Android DeveloperNSW
- FTMobile Designer / Developer - IOSNSW
- CCRecords Officer - CanberraACT
- CCOracle Business Analyst / TrainerSA
- CCBusiness Process Analyst - Supply ChainVIC
- CCHybris Developer - Global ConsultancyNSW
- CCImmediate iOS Developer RequiredNSW
- FTWeb Analytics Specialist - TechnicalNSW
- CCCommercial Manager - Strategy / Big Data - Telecommunications -NSW
- CCSolution Architect_Microsoft ArchitectureACT
- CCInfrastructure ConsultantNSW
- FTJunior Developer | C#, MVC & SQL | Class FinanceNSW
- FTInsight / Customer / modelling - Analyst (Data Scientist)NSW
- CCITIL Release Manager - CBD SYDNEYNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant - Audio VisualSA
- CCSenior Agile Business Analyst - Online/Mobile experienceNSW
- CCAEM DeveloperNSW