Toshiba Tecra M4 P-M 770
- Extremely powerful, hard drive damage prevention
- Extremely powerful, hard drive damage prevention
Power in your palm. The Tecra M4 is a powerful, feature-packed tablet PC that will please almost everyone.
Price$ 4,950.00 (AUD)
Toshiba's 2.8kg Tecra M4 series is the company's third tablet PC release, and the Tecra M4 P-M 770 is one of the most powerful tablets we've seen to date.
A Wacom-designed pressure-sensitive digitiser is built-in behind the machine's 14.1in shock-protected display to provide a more accurate response. The display itself is protected by a thin protective polycarbonate panel, and natively supports a resolution of 1400 x 1050 pixels, driven by a 128MB Nvidia GeForce FX Go 6600 PCI Express graphics controller.
The Tecra M4 series features all the latest-generation Intel Centrino technologies. We tested the P-M 770, which comes with an Intel Pentium M 770 (2.13GHz) processor combined with 1GB of PC4200 DDR2 memory, a 5400rpm 80GBhard disk and a double-layer DVD burner that's swappable with a second battery or hard disk.
For networking, it has built-in Gigabit Ethernet, a 56Kbps modem, infrared and 802.11a/b/g wireless networking. Bluetooth is optional.
The Tecra M4 models support one Type II PC Card, include an SD card reader and are also equipped with three USB 2.0 ports, plus single FireWire, S-Video TV-out and VGA-out ports.
In addition to using magnesium alloy and ABS polycarbonate case materials, Toshiba has also shock-protected Tecra M4 models' hard disks and employed a motion sensor to temporarily halt the hard disks to prevent damage if dropped.
For security, Toshiba has also incorporated its Trusted Platform Module, and allowed for hard disk, BIOS and program user/admin passwords. A variety of useful Toshiba Tablet PC configuration and recovery utilities are also included.
For safe keeping, the Tecra M4's stylus slides away into the machine just next to the DVD drive.
The machine has just one built-in microphone, near the front, for speech recognition. Plus, there's
There's also a depressible iNav touch stick that brings up a unique "cross menu" with categorised icons for programs and settings.
A six-cell battery, rated for 3-4 hours, is bundled as standard. A standard one-year warranty also applies (you can opt to extend this).
Join the PC World newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Acer Swift 7
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Venom Blackbook Zero 14 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- More iPad screen sizes unlikely to stop slump
- Android struggling in tablets as Windows 10 2-in-1s come on strong
- Samsung unveils Galaxy Book, a Windows 10 tablet aimed at the Surface-curious
- Everything we think we know about Samsung’s Galaxy Tab S3
- Lenovo's ThinkPad P71 will work with HTC, Oculus VR headsets
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- LG 2017 OLED and Super LED UHD 4K TVs: Hands-on review
- Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTMid Level PHP DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Implementation Manager - Change - Financial ServicesNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - General InsuranceNSW
- FTImplementation Consultant - SMSF SoftwareNSW
- CCApplication Support Specialist- Bathurst or Port MacquarieNSW
- TPAutomation Test AnalystsQLD
- FTSenior Microsoft EngineerVIC
- FTMS Dynamics DevelopersNSW
- TPProgram ArchitectQLD
- FTArcFM/Gis Lead DeveloperNSW
- FTCyber Security - Technical SpecialistACT
- TPPerformance Test Analyst - Perth BasedQLD
- CCBenefits/Business AnalystNSW
- TPTest AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Business Analyst (BPMN or UML & Agile)QLD
- FTSolution Architect (e-Health)NSW
- FTSenior Performance AnalystQLD
- CCICT ManagerNSW
- FTCloud Infrastructure Specialist - Azure/AWSNSW
- FTData Storage Support Consultant (EMC)QLD
- FTJunior Applications SupportVIC
- FTKey Account ManagerVIC
- FTSeeking all Java Developers!VIC
- FTSenior Lead Developer/Architect - TelcoVIC