Toshiba Tecra M4 P-M 770
- Extremely powerful, hard drive damage prevention
- Extremely powerful, hard drive damage prevention
Power in your palm. The Tecra M4 is a powerful, feature-packed tablet PC that will please almost everyone.
Price$ 4,950.00 (AUD)
Toshiba's 2.8kg Tecra M4 series is the company's third tablet PC release, and the Tecra M4 P-M 770 is one of the most powerful tablets we've seen to date.
A Wacom-designed pressure-sensitive digitiser is built-in behind the machine's 14.1in shock-protected display to provide a more accurate response. The display itself is protected by a thin protective polycarbonate panel, and natively supports a resolution of 1400 x 1050 pixels, driven by a 128MB Nvidia GeForce FX Go 6600 PCI Express graphics controller.
The Tecra M4 series features all the latest-generation Intel Centrino technologies. We tested the P-M 770, which comes with an Intel Pentium M 770 (2.13GHz) processor combined with 1GB of PC4200 DDR2 memory, a 5400rpm 80GBhard disk and a double-layer DVD burner that's swappable with a second battery or hard disk.
For networking, it has built-in Gigabit Ethernet, a 56Kbps modem, infrared and 802.11a/b/g wireless networking. Bluetooth is optional.
The Tecra M4 models support one Type II PC Card, include an SD card reader and are also equipped with three USB 2.0 ports, plus single FireWire, S-Video TV-out and VGA-out ports.
In addition to using magnesium alloy and ABS polycarbonate case materials, Toshiba has also shock-protected Tecra M4 models' hard disks and employed a motion sensor to temporarily halt the hard disks to prevent damage if dropped.
For security, Toshiba has also incorporated its Trusted Platform Module, and allowed for hard disk, BIOS and program user/admin passwords. A variety of useful Toshiba Tablet PC configuration and recovery utilities are also included.
For safe keeping, the Tecra M4's stylus slides away into the machine just next to the DVD drive.
The machine has just one built-in microphone, near the front, for speech recognition. Plus, there's
There's also a depressible iNav touch stick that brings up a unique "cross menu" with categorised icons for programs and settings.
A six-cell battery, rated for 3-4 hours, is bundled as standard. A standard one-year warranty also applies (you can opt to extend this).
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Steam updates user reviews to better reflect trends
- Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare goes full sci-fi with space-based gunfights
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- As tablet sales take a dive, analysts expect smartphone vendors to launch convertibles
- HP's new Chromebook 13 has features to match top-line Windows PCs
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSystem AnalystNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCAzure Consultant/EngineerQLD
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- FTDesktop Support Technician - onsite Corporate officesVIC
- FTProduct OwnerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle/Unix) 160509/AP/395Asia
- CCBusiness Systems Analyst - eCommerce PaymentsVIC
- CCSr. Business Analyst - ServicePLUSVIC
- CCSr. Project Manager - Six SigmaVIC
- FTVendor Manager / Team Lead - ITIL / ITSMVIC
- CCJava Developer- 12 month contractNSW
- CCJava Developer / DevOps | FINEOS Application | Long Term ContractNSW
- CCSr. Project ManagerVIC
- FTFront End DeveloperVIC
- CCWeb AdministratorACT
- CCNV2 - System Administration / Application SupportACT
- CCSAP BASIS ConsultantVIC
- CCUX Designer and UX ResearcherVIC
- CCMid Range Developer (Senior .NET Developer)QLD
- FTMs Dynamics Nav Support Analyst- Level 1/2WA
- FTSoftware (.Net) DeveloperACT
- CCFront end web developer - JUNE / JULY STARTACT
- CCWindows Automation EngineerVIC
- CCSenior Analyst, Applications - GDWVIC