- Price, Easy setup using CD-ROM
- Lack of wireless, Confusing Web interface
Although some may be put off by the lack of any wireless functionality, the TD-8840 is fine for those on a budget requiring an ADSL2+ modem and home
Price$ 59.00 (AUD)
If you want a no frills ADSL2+ modem without many -- if any -- bells and whistles, the TP-Link TD-8840 could be just what you're looking for. Also acting as a 4-port router, the 8840 can have you and your home network connected to the Internet in a matter of minutes. By using the provided CD-ROM software, connecting to your service provider can be completed in a few clicks of your mouse, and the entering of your username and password.
Not so good is the Web interface for users wanting to manually set up their connection. In fact, upon logging into the Web administration, a "quick setup" wizard is not even available. To insert your ADSL username and password, one has to navigate through a confusing menu system, drilling down through the Advanced menu and then having to work through the DSL wizard before finally being presented with the required page. On the plus side, the Web interface is fast to load, and rebooting the TD-8840 is a quick process.
TheTD-8840 uses the Broadcom BCM6338 chip, and was easily upgradeable by downloading and installing the available firmware updates. Download speeds averaged around the 12Mbps range -- consistent with other ADSL2+ modems recently tested on our Test Centre connection, apart from The D-Link DSL-2740B that blew all competition away with its results.
The one glaring omission to the TD-8840 is any wireless connectivity. Many home networks these days include at least one notebook or wireless device, and who wouldn't rather be siting in the lounge watching Home and Away whilst surfing the Net instead of the dingy old spare bedroom, aka home office.
The TD-8840 comes equipped with basic security settings, allowing the administrator to set up rudimentary parental controls and IP filtering. Setting up daily Internet access times is a breeze (although timeframes cannot be differed for individual days), but blocking both the incoming and outgoing IP addresses is not for novices -- something that should be easy is made difficult by options that cannot be described as "user-friendly". Although included, these security settings are no replacement for a good security software application on your PC.
Port forwarding, also known as virtual servers, can be configured using either the large list of predefined settings (from a variety of games through to private Web servers) or by manually inserting your own settings.
Also Included with the TD-8840 is a line splitter -- a requirement for anyone that wants to use the home phone and Internet from one phone jack -- RJ45 and CAT5e cables, user manual and software CD-ROM.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- New wireless tech from MIT promises password-free Wi-Fi
- Facebook to begin testing its Internet drone this year
- Consumers let down by broadband speed and performance: ACCAN
- Apple recalls AC wall plug adapters
- This Asus router is a powerful rebuttal to Google OnHub's stark simplicity
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSecurity ArchitectACT
- CCDevOps Engineer - Php, LAMP, XML, scripting, JavaNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - TelecommunicationVIC
- CCTechnology Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCData Centre Solutions Architect - Red Hat, Wintel & VMware - CanberraACT
- CCComms project specialistVIC
- CCSr. SQL Server DBANSW
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Unix/Linux/Web) 160819/AP/173Asia
- CCWindows EngineerVIC
- FTIT Manager - Infrastructure Strategy and OperationsNSW
- FTProject Administrator (Agile)WA
- CCSAP ArchitectSA
- FTProject ManagerACT
- FTRelease & Configuration Manager | Defence intelligence application | NV1 clearedACT
- FTMicrosoft Solution ArchitectACT
- CCChange LeadsNSW
- CCPersonal AssistantVIC
- CCContract IT Assistant (SQL/Windows7/8/10) 160901/AP/781Asia
- CCIT Assistant (Infrastructure/PC LAN Support) 160825/ITA/864Asia
- CCEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- CCCustomer Service RepresentativeQLD
- CCSenior Business Analyst - TaxVIC
- FTDefence Network EngineerACT