Trend Micro Australia PC-cillin Internet Security 14.0
- Easy to use, Straightforward installation, Doesn’t hog system resources
- Firewall and Spyware protection a let-down
A capable package that is perhaps let down by poor results in spyware and firewall features.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
Trend's 2006 PC-cillin Internet Security suite features a much-improved user interface compared with last year's version. The core bundle remains the same - antivirus, antispam and firewall - but you get some extra protection against phishing and spyware, as well as privacy and parental controls, Wi-Fi intrusion detection and centralised management for good measure. It sounds quite the package, but does it live up to the expectation? Well, sort of.
The first point we noted was that installation was very straightforward, and the program worked well overall. The antivirus component has performed strongly in the Virus Bulletin VB100 awards and has earned the ISCA Labs seal of approval. It is noticeably less of a resource hog than rival suites, but advanced users might be dismayed by the limited configuration options. Overall, the program was quite easy to use and shouldn't cause too many hassles; even for those who are new to the security software world.
The Privacy Protection and Web Site Filter features of PC-cillin deserve a mention. You can opt to block each private data item from transmission via instant message, email or a web form, nominating specific exemptions if you wish. This is an excellent feature and one that we really appreciated; blocking specific programs, e-mails or messages was very convenient and took out a lot of configuration hassle down the track.
Unfortunately, the new spyware protection PC-cillin offers isn't quite as thorough. It doesn't rank by risk, so 'harmless' cookies manage to get listed alongside more serious malware. And firewall performance was also less than stellar, with only basic options and settings available. Fortunately, Spam handling was better, with 75 percent spotted from the off.
Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 14.0 isn't the best security suite on the market, but it's still pretty capable. It's cheaper than its main rival and imposes less of a burden on hardware, but while it delivers on antivirus and spam there are still slight question marks over the firewall and antispyware functions.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Chinese $1.2B deal for Opera crumples
- Microsoft will miss its one billion Windows 10 device target
- Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1060 is a budget GTX 980 killer
- NBN raids: Conroy calls for end to ‘ludicrous’ AFP investigation
- Google is working to make every website viewable in VR
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTNV2 Defence Project ManagerACT
- CCReport Business Analyst- BI, Oracle, SAP, TableauNSW
- CCSenior Test AnalystWA
- CCSenior Automation Engineer / TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTProject ManagerVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst - Asset ManagementNSW
- CCSenior Process Analyst - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- CCLead Business AnalystNSW
- CCSAP FICO Consultant/SAP FICO Stream LeadNSW
- CCDatabase developer/ModellerACT
- FTService Desk ManagerNSW
- FTContinuous delivery application deployment automation specialist (DevOps)NSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/J2EE/MyEclise) 160721/AP/vmpAsia
- CCPerformance Test Lead- Load runner, SAP , Citrix ,HPQC ,QTPNSW
- FTSAS Support SpecialistNSW
- CCEnvironment ManagerVIC
- CCIP & Fixed Enablement SpecialistVIC
- FTTest ManagerACT
- CCPortfolio AnalystVIC
- FTService Desk Team LeadNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160729/P/698Asia
- CCHelpdesk OfficersNSW
- FTCloud EngineerVIC