Trend Micro Australia PC-cillin Internet Security 14.0
- Easy to use, Straightforward installation, Doesn’t hog system resources
- Firewall and Spyware protection a let-down
A capable package that is perhaps let down by poor results in spyware and firewall features.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
Trend's 2006 PC-cillin Internet Security suite features a much-improved user interface compared with last year's version. The core bundle remains the same - antivirus, antispam and firewall - but you get some extra protection against phishing and spyware, as well as privacy and parental controls, Wi-Fi intrusion detection and centralised management for good measure. It sounds quite the package, but does it live up to the expectation? Well, sort of.
The first point we noted was that installation was very straightforward, and the program worked well overall. The antivirus component has performed strongly in the Virus Bulletin VB100 awards and has earned the ISCA Labs seal of approval. It is noticeably less of a resource hog than rival suites, but advanced users might be dismayed by the limited configuration options. Overall, the program was quite easy to use and shouldn't cause too many hassles; even for those who are new to the security software world.
The Privacy Protection and Web Site Filter features of PC-cillin deserve a mention. You can opt to block each private data item from transmission via instant message, email or a web form, nominating specific exemptions if you wish. This is an excellent feature and one that we really appreciated; blocking specific programs, e-mails or messages was very convenient and took out a lot of configuration hassle down the track.
Unfortunately, the new spyware protection PC-cillin offers isn't quite as thorough. It doesn't rank by risk, so 'harmless' cookies manage to get listed alongside more serious malware. And firewall performance was also less than stellar, with only basic options and settings available. Fortunately, Spam handling was better, with 75 percent spotted from the off.
Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 14.0 isn't the best security suite on the market, but it's still pretty capable. It's cheaper than its main rival and imposes less of a burden on hardware, but while it delivers on antivirus and spam there are still slight question marks over the firewall and antispyware functions.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Surface Pro 4
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- 10 powerful, obscure Windows keyboard shortcuts you should know
- Microsoft delays tools for third-party Cortana integrations
- Samsung unveils Bixby voice assistant for upcoming Galaxy S8
- Pwn2Own hacking contest ends with two virtual machine escapes
- It's time to turn on HTTPS: the benefits are well worth the effort
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTSenior Change Readiness ManagerNSW
- CCWeb Data Entry PublisherACT
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTAEM Architect - Blue Chip companyNSW
- CCOracle Middleware Production SupportACT
- TPAO6 IT Procurement OfficerQLD
- FTDigital Support ConsultantSA
- TPSenior/Lead AEM DeveloperQLD
- TPSenior Front End DeveloperVIC
- TPAutomation TesterQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCDigital Business ArchitectACT
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectVIC
- CCSenior Network Architect l CCIE R&S l Cisco ACINSW
- FTProject SchedulerACT
- FTTechnical Consultant - SQL Server programming skillsACT
- CCSAP FICO Support AnalystWA
- CCBig Data Developer - Government - 12 Month Contract - SydneyNSW
- FTSolution Architect - SecurityVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst Digitalisation projectsQLD
- CCPega DeveloperNSW
- FTService Desk Operators (Part time and Full Time)SA
- CCFinancial/Logistics Administration OfficerACT
- FTSenior Android DeveloperNSW