Trend Micro Australia PC-cillin Internet Security 14.0
- Easy to use, Straightforward installation, Doesn’t hog system resources
- Firewall and Spyware protection a let-down
A capable package that is perhaps let down by poor results in spyware and firewall features.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
Trend's 2006 PC-cillin Internet Security suite features a much-improved user interface compared with last year's version. The core bundle remains the same - antivirus, antispam and firewall - but you get some extra protection against phishing and spyware, as well as privacy and parental controls, Wi-Fi intrusion detection and centralised management for good measure. It sounds quite the package, but does it live up to the expectation? Well, sort of.
The first point we noted was that installation was very straightforward, and the program worked well overall. The antivirus component has performed strongly in the Virus Bulletin VB100 awards and has earned the ISCA Labs seal of approval. It is noticeably less of a resource hog than rival suites, but advanced users might be dismayed by the limited configuration options. Overall, the program was quite easy to use and shouldn't cause too many hassles; even for those who are new to the security software world.
The Privacy Protection and Web Site Filter features of PC-cillin deserve a mention. You can opt to block each private data item from transmission via instant message, email or a web form, nominating specific exemptions if you wish. This is an excellent feature and one that we really appreciated; blocking specific programs, e-mails or messages was very convenient and took out a lot of configuration hassle down the track.
Unfortunately, the new spyware protection PC-cillin offers isn't quite as thorough. It doesn't rank by risk, so 'harmless' cookies manage to get listed alongside more serious malware. And firewall performance was also less than stellar, with only basic options and settings available. Fortunately, Spam handling was better, with 75 percent spotted from the off.
Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 14.0 isn't the best security suite on the market, but it's still pretty capable. It's cheaper than its main rival and imposes less of a burden on hardware, but while it delivers on antivirus and spam there are still slight question marks over the firewall and antispyware functions.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Kogan Agora 4G Pro review: the final word on Kogan's best smartphone
- 2 Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet (LTE) review: The tablet of choice for anyone on Android
- 3 Bose SoundLink Mini II Bluetooth speaker review
- 4 Apple MacBook Air 2015 review: Only better with time
- 5 Lenovo ThinkPad T550 laptop
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Hackers figure out how to seize control of a car from anywhere
- Mozilla to focus on minimizing desertions to Edge with new Windows 10 Firefox
- Most Google de-listing requests are from everyday folk, leaked data shows
- Michael Dell: Dell will ship Windows 10 PCs on July 29
- Microsoft wraps up revamped Office 2016 for Mac
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW
- FTAccount Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- CCInternal Communications ExecutiveNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW