Twinhead Elfio 14B
- Excellent value, lightweight
- Relatively poor integrated graphics
This great-value laptop is highly mobile, but it's much better at general tasks (word processing and browsing the Web) than it is at games.
Price$ 1,538.90 (AUD)
This value-orientated model from Twinhead would be ideal for students and mobile professionals alike.
The Efio 14B uses first-generation Centrino technology: an 855PM chipset with integrated graphics--although it does use Intel's newer Pentium M 725 (1.6GHz) Dothan processor. Wireless networking (802.11b/g) is also included.
Twinhead has equipped this particular model with 512MB of DDR SDRAM in addition to a 40GB Fujitsu 4200rpm hard drive.
The CD-R/RW/DVD-ROM combination drive is fixed into the machine's silver plastic casing, which holds up pretty well (that said, we would have liked a bit more strength behind the display to protect it).
The Efio 14B's black keyboard isn't too bad for typing and overall the machine is pretty well built considering its price tag. We also liked the fact that the touch pad (mouse control) does both vertical and horizontal scrolling.
The front fascia is where the headphone and microphone ports are found, in addition to a volume control and three-in-one card reader (Memory Stick, SD and MultiMediaCard).
The Efio 14B's has no ports on the rear spine of the machine. Instead, the VGA-out (external monitor), Ethernet and 56Kbps modem ports are found on the left-hand side along with a PC Card slot supporting one type I/II PC Card. This leaves the right-hand side to incorporate the DVD drive and three USB 2.0 ports.
At 2.5kg, this is a fairly sleek machine that should be right at home on the road. Put to the test, we were able to achieve a worst-case scenario battery life of 70 minutes. Our PC WorldBench 5 productivity benchmark returned a respectable score of 73 while 3DMark 2001 really highlighted the low-powered integrated graphics, with a result of just 2438.
Twinhead ships the Efio 14B with a one-year warranty and includes Nero 6 for burning CDs and Power DVD 5 for watching DVDs. It would have been nice if a S-Video TV-out port was included, considering the small 14" screen, but it's hard to complain at this price point.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® Portable SSD
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Venom Blackbook Zero 14 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- More iPad screen sizes unlikely to stop slump
- Android struggling in tablets as Windows 10 2-in-1s come on strong
- Samsung unveils Galaxy Book, a Windows 10 tablet aimed at the Surface-curious
- Everything we think we know about Samsung’s Galaxy Tab S3
- Lenovo's ThinkPad P71 will work with HTC, Oculus VR headsets
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- LG 2017 OLED and Super LED UHD 4K TVs: Hands-on review
- Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTWeb Developer/ReportsNSW
- TPFront End DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior Node.JS DeveloperNSW
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Positive Vetting, NV2 or NV1 requiredSA
- FTArcFM/Gis Lead DeveloperNSW
- CCSecurity Incident Analyst - Splunk - TelcoVIC
- TPSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTRuby on Rails DeveloperQLD
- CCDomino SpecialistVIC
- FTChief Architect - Public SectorACT
- FTProject CoordinatorVIC
- FTSoftware EngineerSA
- TPEngineer Desktop DevelopmentVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst Team LeadNSW
- FTICT Client Services ManagerQLD
- CCChange & Deployment ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCService Desk Analyst - TelcoTAS
- TPWintel EngineerVIC
- FTDatabase DeveloperACT
- CCFrom Security Operations to Technical Business Analyst, make the move now!NSW
- CCSAP FICO ConsultantWA
- FTData Storage Support Consultant (EMC)QLD
- CCTest Manager with PV Security ClearanceACT