Ubisoft Heroes Of Mana
- Touch screen is ideal for quickly selecting units, character designs are interesting.
- The DS screen is way too small for RTS, the maps sit on uninspiring black backgrounds that give the game an unfinished feel.
Diehard Mana fans will lap this up and ask for a second bowl regardless. Everyone else should expect a slightly bad aftertaste.
Price$ 69.95 (AUD)
Here's one we weren't expecting: an RTS RPG for the DS set in the universe of the Mana series. But that's exactly what Heroes of Mana is. The story follows a new character named Roget and a rapidly ballooning band of rebels as they battle against the encroaching Peddan army. With so many characters it's difficult to become attached to many of them, and the overall story doesn't grip players in the same way Secret of Mana has before, though it makes a valiant effort.
Knowing Is Half the Battle
The title places an emphasis on RTS action that follows the typical 'Gather, Summon, Fight' progression that most every other RTS game relies on. Although, the inclusion of Leader units that can equip armor and cast magic does make for some variation, the game is still trapped in genre conventions. Thankfully, the implementation of the DS controls is good, although the end results are a little mixed. The touch-screen makes it easy to tap and lasso specific units, allowing you to quickly and efficiently send your troops off to do your bidding. The game's biggest Achilles Heel, however, is the size of the DS screens: micromanaging dozens of units across a sprawling battlefield isn't easy when you can only see a three-inch sized portion of it at any given time. This problem is almost rectified by the DS' dual-screen use, as the battlefield is displayed on the bottom with a map on the top. You can flip the map down to the touch-screen area and tap anywhere on the screen to see the action in that section but you have to then flop the battlefield back down onto the touch screen to manipulate your units again, which definitely wears thin after a while.
Overall, Heroes of Mana is a nice enough diversion, but it's hard to see what Square Enix was trying to do with this title. RPG fans will obviously disdain it for its RTS skewed focus while RTS fans will turn their noses up at the lack of strategy necessary and idiotic unit AI. And both parties will be turned off by the limitations of the DS' screen size. It's a hard title to recommend to anyone but the most ardent Mana 'verse fanatic.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- Watch Dogs 2 PC impressions: A smooth-running romp through meme-filled San Francisco
- Hearthstone fans now have a dedicated Skype chat room to challenge its best players
- You'll be able to stream Xbox One games on the Oculus Rift in December
- Doom running on the MacBook Pro's Touch Bar is the latest hilarious 'Doom on dumb stuff' hack
- Massive Civilization VI update adds DirectX 12, new multiplayer mode and maps
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPChange ManagerQLD
- FTProduct LeadVIC
- CCInfrastructure Architect - Immediate Start - Migration Project -Hyper-V & VMWareNSW
- CCActive Directory EngineerNSW
- CCFacilities Coordinator/ Data Centre Coordinator- Multiple RolesVIC
- FTDevelopment Manager / Engineering Manager - Canberra RoleACT
- CCService Desk OfficerSA
- FTWinforms Developer - European Integration ProgramVIC
- CCJava DeveloperWA
- FTSolution DesignerNSW
- CCWeb Analytics Specialist | 6 month contractNSW
- CCUX DesignerNSW
- FTCitrix AdministratorNSW
- CCSenior Network ConsultantVIC
- TPSAP FICO Functional AnalystQLD
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Systems EngineerWA
- TPBusiness Solutions Analyst - Legacy SystemQLD
- FTSenior Test Analyst (HL7)VIC
- FTService Lifecycle Management LeadVIC
- FTService Desk Analyst / Security EngineerQLD
- TPFull Stack .NET DeveloperWA
- TPNetwork AdministratorWA
- FTUX/UI DesignerWA