Ulead DVD MovieFactory 4.0
DVD authoring software can be divided into two main camps: professional applications which can be difficult to use, but provide complete control; and those like DVD MovieFactory, where simplicity is the key.
The program is available in two versions: a standard package offering basic editing and disc burning, and the more expensive Disc Creator Edition, for creating music and photo discs.
If you want to produce a disc as quickly as possible, the latest version of MovieFactory includes several improvements.
With Auto-Fit to Disk, MovieFactory 4.0 calculates how to fit your video on to one disc at the best possible quality. Quite useful. However, the ability to capture digital video broadcast (DVB-T) on the fly is less so. If quality matters so much, you should be using a professional application. MovieFactory was previously criticised for sacrificing a little too much complexity in pursuit of ease of use. This seems to have been addressed - in the Disc Creator package at least. Anyone who purchases this title will also be able to create music CDs or DVDs, including MP3 and DVD-audio discs. You get some of the new features mentioned above, such as Auto-Fit, as well.
DVD MovieFactory 4.0 also has tem-plates, menu layouts and navigation presets that will add gloss to your project.
Verdict MovieFactory 4.0 is a product for the occasional user. Despite the extra features, its straightforward interface could be frustrating for authors who wish to experiment. Our recommendation is for the more expensive Disc Creator package.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- NBN: Question marks over copper costs persist
- ACCC seeks feedback on nbn SAU proposed updates
- Google's Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) speed up web browsing for users
- NBN Co's poor document security enabled document leaks that could have been avoided
- Microsoft breaks own design rules in dupe-the-user Windows 10 upgrade tactic
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCTIBCO Integration ConsultantVIC
- FTInformatica Powercenter SpecialistNSW
- CCProject Manager/Iteration ManagerVIC
- CCProgram Business Implementation Director- HR Payroll, FINSW
- CCIT Security Consultant -NSW
- FTNV1, NV2 Network Engineers | Permanent role with diverse Defence projectsACT
- FTDelivery Lead- AWSNSW
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperWA
- CCSystems Engineer- VMware / Cisco UCSNSW
- CCDigital Content ProducerVIC
- FTWeb DeveloperSA
- CCData Migration Quality Manager- SAP ECCNSW
- FTAzure ConsultantQLD
- CCSolutions Architect - Enterprise ApplicationsNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET C#/MS ASP .NET) 160526/AP/263Asia
- CCSenior Change AnalystNSW
- CCNetwork AdministratorWA
- FTNetwork Engineer | Canberra | NV1 NV2 clearance | Defence projectsNSW
- CCInfrastructure and Cloud Project ManagerVIC
- FTSOE Operations SpecialistACT
- CCSenior Portfolio Analyst - Risk and MetricsNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst or Information AnalystNSW
- CCDomain Specialist | Multiple RolesVIC
- CCEnd to End Project Manager - PMO and GovernanceVIC
- FTVMWare Infrastructure EngineerVIC