Ulead PhotoImpact 11
- Offers a bundle of features
- Complicated interface, glitchy
This software’s powerful creative features can’t quite compensate for its annoying interface.
Price$ 189.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
Ulead's PhotoImpact is a handy program marred by a dramatically overstuffed interface. PhotoImpact 11 addresses this problem by providing specific workspaces for different tasks. It's a good idea and a big step forward, but in the end this $189 application remains a bit rough around the edges.
PhotoImpact finally supports RAW images and 48-bit colour depth for advanced editing. The package includes a few single-click tools for automatically optimising photos. However, the interactive, optometrist-inspired "which preset looks better?" fixes for exposure, colour cast, saturation, and sharpening will deliver better results. Ulead includes several innovative tools that make Adobe's Photoshop Elements look positively old school in comparison. Thanks to the program's updated object extraction wizard, you may never go back to lasso tools again.
The SmartRemove function lets you collect a series of photos of the same scene, mark elements for removal, and then deftly combine them to create a final image that reveals obscured objects. Depending on the quality of your source material, evidence of the erasure varies from almost invisible to awkwardly noticeable.
The High Dynamic Range feature returns in this version with a simpler interface and better performance. With it, you can combine several photos of a scene that has tricky lighting to create a properly exposed shot free of regions of over- and underexposure. On the graphics side, PhotoImpact is chock-full of Web-friendly design features, including image maps and rollover effects. You also get Web page templates and a slew of clip art, stamps, and effects such as object deformation and warping (useful for a broad range of special effects, logo design, and other graphical applications). Unfortunately the interface lacks a logical layout; some relatively common tasks, like one-touch correction and image straightening, are buried in menus.
We also experienced a recurring glitch when using the app's Enhance Lighting tool (it's a known bug that Ulead is working to correct) and a frustrating incompatibility with my Minolta-QMS MagiColor 2300 printer.
Ulead supplies two separate photo-organising apps in the box: Photo Explorer 8.6 and PhotoImpact Album 11. Unfortunately, both badly need updating. Each has a clumsy, dated feel, and the two offer overlapping organising and viewing features. If Ulead can make all of PhotoImpact's tools feel as fresh and exciting as the handful of new flagship features, it will have a true winner.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Motorola Moto X Style review: A no compromise flagship
- 2 Oppo R7 Plus review: a stellar sub-$600 phablet
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7) 4G review: Samsung does a lot more with a lot less
- 4 Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) review: Is it worth an extra $100?
- 5 Jawbone UP3 review: 3 months with Jawbone's best fitness tracker
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Windows 10 growth slows, but breaks 100M device mark
- Google Photos’ big, helpful Android update goes live
- Microsoft’s Sydney store will open its doors on 12 November
- Tim Cook on Apple and Microsoft partnership: 'It's what customers want'
- Microsoft's Office 2016 intro guides are here, a week late and short on useful details
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW