Ulead PhotoImpact 11
- Offers a bundle of features
- Complicated interface, glitchy
This software’s powerful creative features can’t quite compensate for its annoying interface.
Price$ 189.00 (AUD)
Ulead's PhotoImpact is a handy program marred by a dramatically overstuffed interface. PhotoImpact 11 addresses this problem by providing specific workspaces for different tasks. It's a good idea and a big step forward, but in the end this $189 application remains a bit rough around the edges.
PhotoImpact finally supports RAW images and 48-bit colour depth for advanced editing. The package includes a few single-click tools for automatically optimising photos. However, the interactive, optometrist-inspired "which preset looks better?" fixes for exposure, colour cast, saturation, and sharpening will deliver better results. Ulead includes several innovative tools that make Adobe's Photoshop Elements look positively old school in comparison. Thanks to the program's updated object extraction wizard, you may never go back to lasso tools again.
The SmartRemove function lets you collect a series of photos of the same scene, mark elements for removal, and then deftly combine them to create a final image that reveals obscured objects. Depending on the quality of your source material, evidence of the erasure varies from almost invisible to awkwardly noticeable.
The High Dynamic Range feature returns in this version with a simpler interface and better performance. With it, you can combine several photos of a scene that has tricky lighting to create a properly exposed shot free of regions of over- and underexposure. On the graphics side, PhotoImpact is chock-full of Web-friendly design features, including image maps and rollover effects. You also get Web page templates and a slew of clip art, stamps, and effects such as object deformation and warping (useful for a broad range of special effects, logo design, and other graphical applications). Unfortunately the interface lacks a logical layout; some relatively common tasks, like one-touch correction and image straightening, are buried in menus.
We also experienced a recurring glitch when using the app's Enhance Lighting tool (it's a known bug that Ulead is working to correct) and a frustrating incompatibility with my Minolta-QMS MagiColor 2300 printer.
Ulead supplies two separate photo-organising apps in the box: Photo Explorer 8.6 and PhotoImpact Album 11. Unfortunately, both badly need updating. Each has a clumsy, dated feel, and the two offer overlapping organising and viewing features. If Ulead can make all of PhotoImpact's tools feel as fresh and exciting as the handful of new flagship features, it will have a true winner.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Turnbull touts UNSW’s quantum capability as “world’s best”
- Microsoft Translator now translates text from images, increases language support
- Chrome turns 50 and stands at a crossroads
- YouTube dives into VR, live-streaming with 360 video
- Netflix stops insisting it will never support offline videos
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCBusiness Data AnalystVIC
- FTAzure ArchitectQLD
- FTBusiness Intelligence ConsultantSA
- CCBusiness Analyst - ICT SecurityNSW
- CCSystems TrainerVIC
- CCSQL DeveloperVIC
- CCMicrosoft Server EngineerWA
- CCEnvironment ManagerVIC
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Technical WriterVIC
- CCData Management & Reporting Development OfficerSA
- FTSolution Architect (Guidewire Billing Center)NSW
- FTSenior Middleware Lead Shared Services (Support and EngineeringVIC
- FTProduct Owner - MarketingNSW
- CCSr System AnalystACT
- CCSiebel AnalystACT
- CCApplication Migration ArchitectACT
- CCIntegration Delivery Project ManagerNSW
- FTNetwork ConsultantNSW
- CCICT Project Manager - Contact Centre/Telephony FocusNSW
- CCAEM DeveloperVIC
- FTSharePoint DeveloperSA
- CCOperational Team LeadVIC
- FTGentrack ConsultantVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle/Unix) 160509/AP/395Asia