V-Moda Crossfade LP headphones
A heavy-duty V-Moda headphone set for DJs and the fashion conscious
- Comfortable, attractive design, good bass
- Expensive, audio lacks depth
The V-Moda Crossfade LP headphones are dub-heavy and exceptionally comfortable. They're real lookers and are just the thing for dance and rock tracks with lots of bass. You may end up with a headache after prolonged use, but you probably won't want to stop using them.
Price$ 349.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
From the biker-style silver chevrons adorning the exterior to the cushioned leather interior, the V-Moda Crossfade LP headphones are anything but ordinary. Even then the headstrap has a subtle snakeskin effect.
Part fashion item (V-Moda also has a successful clothing range), part DJ wear, the V-Moda Crossfade LP headphones have serious attitude. Their flexible headstrap enables them to be used with one ear on the tune while with the other you mix in the next track
The V-Moda Crossfade LP design has been designed to withstand assaults on the headstrap, cable attachments and the arms holding the earpieces in place. They shouldn't break. It's fairly certain the cord that acts as a cable won't break either. You could lasso an ox with it. You can also run it over and not impede playback from the headphones.
We spent two weeks running it over with an office chair we were sitting on, with no discernible degradation and no hint of a tangle. Try the same with a cable and you'll have a mangled mess.
The heavy-duty credentials of the V-Moda Crossfade LP extend, of course, to the sound. Bass fans will find them anything but disappointing.
The insistent beats of Gaga's 'Bad Romance' came through good and strong, with accompanying treble reverberating in the best possible way. However, they can also do subtle reasonably well, should you be in mellower mood, as we found when we cued up Midlake's complex but understated The Courage Of Others album on our iPhone.
Faced with a mixture of thumping beats and lighter tones, however, we found the V-Moda Crossfade LP lacking a little depth - not good given the $349 price tag.
These are 'passive isolation' headphones rather than noise-cancelling ones, so you won't block out all the sounds around you unless you really crank things up. Usefully, V-Moda packs in an inline microphone and track play/pause button so you can take calls from your iPhone. The Kevlar cord also comes with adapters for a hi-fi, iPhone or laptop headphone connector.
The whole V-Moda Crossfade LP caboodle comes in a highly unusual snakeskin-clad moulded plastic casing with a dust cloth with which to clean nasty fingerprints off those distinctive silver shields.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Parrot's Zik 2.0 headphones include an accelerometer and plenty of noise cancelling
- Kogan opens online shop in New Zealand
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET C#/MS ASP .NET) 160526/AP/263Asia
- FTSharepoint Developer - O365NSW
- CCProgram Communications SpecialistVIC
- CCSenior IT Security Specialist-SANS, ISC2, ISACA, ITILNSW
- CCDomain Specialist | Multiple RolesVIC
- CCFull Stack Developer - AngularNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle/SQL*PLUS) 160519/AP/432Asia
- FTWeb DeveloperSA
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperNSW
- CCCloud Specialist | CHEF | 3mth ContractVIC
- FTSenior Developer (Full stack)SA
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Marketing SystemsNSW
- CCechnical Specialist ApplicationsACT
- CCIT Assistant (Office Automation/Windows) 160517/ITA/884Asia
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Technical LeadACT
- FTOPEN_ASAP_Network Security AdministratorACT
- CCJunior / Mid Level Java Developer - Developing Restful Microservice SolutionsVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160523/AP/568Asia
- CCTechnical WriterACT
- FTProject Manager - Web ContentVIC
- CCPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- FTAX Lead Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCNetwork Technical ConsultantSA
- CCIT Systems AnalystACT
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160511/P/043Asia