V-Moda Crossfade LP headphones
A heavy-duty V-Moda headphone set for DJs and the fashion conscious
- Comfortable, attractive design, good bass
- Expensive, audio lacks depth
The V-Moda Crossfade LP headphones are dub-heavy and exceptionally comfortable. They're real lookers and are just the thing for dance and rock tracks with lots of bass. You may end up with a headache after prolonged use, but you probably won't want to stop using them.
Price$ 349.95 (AUD)
From the biker-style silver chevrons adorning the exterior to the cushioned leather interior, the V-Moda Crossfade LP headphones are anything but ordinary. Even then the headstrap has a subtle snakeskin effect.
Part fashion item (V-Moda also has a successful clothing range), part DJ wear, the V-Moda Crossfade LP headphones have serious attitude. Their flexible headstrap enables them to be used with one ear on the tune while with the other you mix in the next track
The V-Moda Crossfade LP design has been designed to withstand assaults on the headstrap, cable attachments and the arms holding the earpieces in place. They shouldn't break. It's fairly certain the cord that acts as a cable won't break either. You could lasso an ox with it. You can also run it over and not impede playback from the headphones.
We spent two weeks running it over with an office chair we were sitting on, with no discernible degradation and no hint of a tangle. Try the same with a cable and you'll have a mangled mess.
The heavy-duty credentials of the V-Moda Crossfade LP extend, of course, to the sound. Bass fans will find them anything but disappointing.
The insistent beats of Gaga's 'Bad Romance' came through good and strong, with accompanying treble reverberating in the best possible way. However, they can also do subtle reasonably well, should you be in mellower mood, as we found when we cued up Midlake's complex but understated The Courage Of Others album on our iPhone.
Faced with a mixture of thumping beats and lighter tones, however, we found the V-Moda Crossfade LP lacking a little depth - not good given the $349 price tag.
These are 'passive isolation' headphones rather than noise-cancelling ones, so you won't block out all the sounds around you unless you really crank things up. Usefully, V-Moda packs in an inline microphone and track play/pause button so you can take calls from your iPhone. The Kevlar cord also comes with adapters for a hi-fi, iPhone or laptop headphone connector.
The whole V-Moda Crossfade LP caboodle comes in a highly unusual snakeskin-clad moulded plastic casing with a dust cloth with which to clean nasty fingerprints off those distinctive silver shields.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Parrot's Zik 2.0 headphones include an accelerometer and plenty of noise cancelling
- Kogan opens online shop in New Zealand
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCSolutions ArchitectQLD
- FTPortfolio Project Governance AnalystNSW
- CCNetwork Engineer - NV2 ClearanceVIC
- FTProject ManagerVIC
- FTSenior .Net Applications SupportACT
- FTInfrastructure Technology Platform ManagerVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160801/AP/258Asia
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantVIC
- CCTest ManagerNSW
- CCEnterprise Data Business AnalystNSW
- CCData Analyst / Data ModelerNSW
- CCPMO ManagerVIC
- CCNetwork Architect - Cisco, Aruba and SecurityNSW
- CCUI/UX DeveloperVIC
- CCIP Test Analyst - Baseline Security ClearanceVIC
- FTBusiness Development ManagerVIC
- FTJDE DeveloperVIC
- FTDefence Network Architect | NV2ACT
- CCProject Engineer -VIC
- FTSQL DATA AnalyticsNSW
- CCPractice Lead - Java, FrontendVIC
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperSA
- CCSolution Architect - IntegrationSA