An affordable multimedia projector with good specifications.
- High brightness, 1024x768 good for presentations
- Low contrast, not easily portable
The Viewsonic PJ760 DLP projector will suit those looking for a business projector that has high brightness levels and is well suited to presentations. It does suffer from a lack of contrast which makes it a poor choice for viewing video content.
Price$ 2,599.00 (AUD)
The Viewsonic PJ760 DLP projector is capable for most business tasks. When functioning as a multimedia projector it produces crisp and bright images, although full screen video is displayed with low contrast.
This DLP projector can be set up in a range of settings, and it has a minimum throw distance of 0.9 metres. At a distance of 1.8 metres, a 60in image is displayed — making this projector ideal to use in cramped environments. Two VGA inputs, as well as S-Video, component and composite inputs are available. There is also a VGA output for connecting an additional screen or projector. Controlling the projector is a simple task using either the bundled remote control or the buttons on top of the projector itself, which are easy to use for navigating the projector's functions.
The PJ760 DLP projector measures 34cm wide, 27cm deep and 10cm high — quite a hefty size. In fact it is significantly larger than other 1024x768 XGA resolution projectors we have tested — including the Dell M209X — but the reason for this size disparity becomes apparent when examining the specifications. The main advantage the Viewsonic PJ760 has over its competitor is its far higher brightness level, allowing this projector to be used in a wider variety of situations.
Brightness levels are higher than most of us need for day to day use, with a rating of 3200 ANSI lumens. This means the projector is capable of presenting a bright image in difficult environments including rooms lit by daylight.
At 1024x768 resolution, presentations displayed in our tests with no distortion of the straight or diagonal lines. This model is suitable to display complex graphs, too — sharpness is spot-on and it is consistent in every corner of the image.
Unfortunately the PJ760 DLP projector trades colour depth and contrast for brightness — the same compromise its rival the Sanyo PLC-XU105 made. As a result the quoted contrast ratio is 500:1. In our tests we found this contrast ratio was simply not enough for an enjoyable video-watching experience, with some detail lost — especially in the dark or bright areas of the screen. Nonetheless, this contrast ratio is still more than sufficient for business presentations though — it's intended function.
Fan noise from the PJ760 DLP projector was not intrusive nor too loud for regular usage. Viewsonic does not advertise the projector's decibel level but we found that the hum of the fan was inaudible from around a metre away in a relatively quiet room.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung's Galaxy Alpha review: A peek into the Galaxy S6
- 2 Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro hybrid Ultrabook
- 3 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 4 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 5 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Why is Microsoft updating Windows PCs for a security bug on the server?
- Prices for 4K monitors sink below $500
- Apple's $450 million e-books settlement gets final approval
- Reports: EU taking first step towards breaking up Google
- US man sentenced for hacking POS systems at Subway
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- FTMarketing Solutions ManagerNSW
- FTPartnership Manager - MediaNSW
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- CCWeb / Mobile Developer - Magento - HTML5, CSS - Excellent CMS SkillsNSW
- CCStrategic Partner ManagerNSW
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Port Augusta / Whyalla AreaSA
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Echuca AreaVIC
- FTChief Information Officer - CSIROACT
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTSEO Content ExecutiveVIC
- FTDigital Account ManagerNSW
- FTProgram Manager - Integration & SolutionsNSW