ViewSonic VG2427wm LCD monitor
ViewSonic's VG2427wm LCD monitor provides good image quality but lacks HDMI
- Solid performance, non-glossy screen, full HD resolution
- No HDMI, bland styling, minor backlight bleeding
ViewSonic's VG2427wm LCD monitor is a capable, if not outstanding performer. The lack of HDMI is a real shame, as otherwise, the monitor would have been ideal for use with the latest high definition gaming consoles.
Price$ 369.00 (AUD)
A full HD LCD monitor boasting solid, all-round performance, ViewSonic's VG2427wm may not look the part, but it provides good image quality. Unfortunately, the decision to not include an HDMI connection may be a deal breaker for potential customers.
Aesthetically, the ViewSonic VG2427wm isn't anything special, with a bland black design. The 23.6in LCD monitor has a matte black bezel and matching stand, and the screen itself also has a matte finish — this means that reflective light isn't an issue, unlike many glossy screens. The stand allows the VG2427wm LCD monitor to swivel 180 degrees and tilt 25 degrees, but it doesn't pivot and we think it should sit a little lower than it does. The stand itself is bulky and its large circular style base takes up quite a bit of desk space. The good news is the VG2427wm LCD monitor is wall mountable using a standard VESA mount.
The ViewSonic VG2427wm's controls sit in the middle of the bottom bezel and are straightforward to use. A small blue LED denotes the power and the buttons are easy to press despite their small size. ViewSonic doesn't include any preset image settings (such as text, Internet or gaming), but you can manually adjust the colour, in addition to the standard brightness and contrast settings.
The ViewSonic VG2427wm LCD monitor has DVI and VGA inputs, but HDMI is a big omission, especially considering this is a full HD monitor with a resolution of 1920x1080. The lack of HDMI means users needing a monitor to use with the latest high-definition gaming consoles, such as Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Sony's Playstation 3 , would be best advised to look elsewhere.
The lack of HDMI is a further shame when considering the ViewSonic VG2427wm's image quality and motion performance. Although it's not outstanding, it comfortably handles colour, text and motion, providing a solid performance overall. Text in particular is clear and sharp with no visible aberrations and fast motion is similarly impressive. We didn't experience any ghosting or lag, despite the fact that the VG2427wm's 5ms response time is a little slower than many competing monitors — such as AOC's Angelo 2434pw that boasts a 2ms response time.
The ViewSonic VG2427wm isn't without its flaws. We did note some minor backlight bleeding at the edge of the screen and it does tend to struggle with blacks and dark greys, often failing to distinguish between the two. It's viewing angles aren't great, especially horizontally. Text becomes unreadable and colours wash out when viewing from non-optimum angles, although this is somewhat expected from a TN panel.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Google Nexus 6P review: An outstanding multimedia machine
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Tablets replace books for kids back at school
- Dell agrees to acquire EMC for US$67 billion
- Acer launches four Chrome devices under $400
- Vodafone: International roaming rates slashed to $1 per minute for 200 countries
- Apple denies tracking iPhone users, but promises changes
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSenior Change Analyst - Multiple RolesVIC
- CCTest AnalystACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160205/AP/541Asia
- CCSenior Project Manager - DigitalVIC
- FTInsight / Customer / modelling - Analyst (Data Scientist)NSW
- CCSQL DeveloperVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/Visual VB.net) 160115/AP/vhsAsia
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTJava Web Development OpportunityVIC
- FTNetwork Systems LeadVIC
- CCSystems AnalystQLD
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCJava Developer - Front/ Back EndVIC
- CCProject Manager - Operational TechnologyQLD
- FTWeb Programmer/ DeveloperVIC
- CCProgram Portfolio LeadVIC
- FTApplication Support AnalystVIC
- FTProject Manager / Scrum MasterNSW
- CCService Delivery Manager - Infrastructure/ApplicationsNSW
- CCAndroid and iOS DevelopersVIC
- CCLync/Skype EngineerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle/UNIX) 160203/AP/381Asia
- CCSenior Business Analyst - IT SecurityNSW