- Highly adjustable, advanced options
- Poor motion quality
The screen quality makes the VP171b one of ViewSonic's less impressive performers.
Price$ 880.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 4 stores)
With physical adjustments including tilt, height, and swivel, ViewSonic's VP171b is comfortable to work with. Along with a pivoting screen--handy for scrutinizing full pages of letter-size text documents--the VP171b comes with Perfect Portrait, ViewSonic's version of Portrait Displays' PivotPro screen rotation software. Thanks to a thin bezel, the VP171b also works neatly in a dual-monitor setup.
In our display quality tests, the VP171b didn't stand out, producing results that were typical of a mid-range LCD monitor. We had trouble reading a line of soft grey type on our Microsoft Word test screen, and noted a pink screen cast, which may have contributed to the display's so-so graphics performance.
Despite ViewSonic's claims of an 8-millisecond response time--the fastest available--the VP171b only produced average results on our motion tests. It didn't look any better than many 17" monitors with slower vendor-specified response times (up to 25ms).
The menus are easy to navigate and full of advanced options; we wish, though, that ViewSonic would make bigger, easier-to-read screen adjustment buttons.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Kogan Agora 4G Pro review: the final word on Kogan's best smartphone
- 2 Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet (LTE) review: The tablet of choice for anyone on Android
- 3 Bose SoundLink Mini II Bluetooth speaker review
- 4 Apple MacBook Air 2015 review: Only better with time
- 5 Lenovo ThinkPad T550 laptop
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- LG's ultra-thin touchscreen panels will enable lighter, thinner notebooks
- Samsung's UHD Monitor covers 99.5 per cent of Adobe colour spectrum
- LG to unveil curved ultrawide monitor at IFA
- Ultra high-definition and 3.5mm bezels are traits of AOC’s new monitors
- Samsung's 28in monitor uses UHD to improve multitasking
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW
- FTAccount Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW
- CCInternal Communications ExecutiveNSW
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW