- Excellent image quality, Dual PC support, Attractive design.
- Poor speakers.
The Viewsonic VX2235wm is an excellent 22 inch widescreen monitor at a very decent price but is let down by its poor integrated speakers.
Price$ 549.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 4 stores)
When it comes to price versus quality, Viewsonic come to the party time and time again with great monitors at a low price. The VX2235wm is a 22in widescreen LCD monitor with a native resolution of 1680x1050 pixels. During our testing, we found no problems at all when it comes to image quality, but the integrated speakers were rather average. When you take the price into consideration, this attractive unit is easily one of the best value-for-money buys on the market.
We put the Viewsonic through its paces by running an exhaustive set of tests using DisplayMate Video Edition at a resolution of 1680x1050 pixels. DisplayMate has a multitude of test images that are designed to push a monitor to its limits and reveal any inherent flaws. The geometry and distortion tests were executed perfectly, while the sharpness and resolution tests showed no signs of distortion in either the vertical or horizontal axis. The colour and greyscale tests were equally impressive with no signs of noise or image aberrations and the uniformity tests were flawless.
The horizontal viewing angle displayed no colour shift for 170 degrees and the vertical was also excellent at 160 degrees. The VX2235wm had no backlight bleeding and the colour reproduction was superb without any over-saturation. We conducted speed and gaming tests to check for ghosting and to ensure its reported 5ms response time was accurate. We found no ghosting to speak of, nor anything that would indicate anything less than excellent performance all-round.
Similar to the current trend in LCD televisions, the Viewsonic has a piano black bezel and stand. This is broken up by a single metallic silver stripe finish down the middle of the stand. Below the bezel is two five watt speakers hidden behind a grill and the rear sports connections for DVI-D and VGA. The VX2235wm can accept both DVI-D and VGA D-Sub inputs at the same time from two sources, with a switching button that allows the user to change between each simply and easily. PC and notebook users will appreciate this handy feature.
The calibration options are comprehensive and offer more than just the standard brightness, contrast and colour controls. In addition to these basic options there are also more specific colour calibration tools that change the colour temperature or choose a specific colour space to suit your needs. There are also automated colour management systems and seven preset colour modes.
Unfortunately, this unit fails miserably in the sound department. The included speakers are sub-standard and, even at its highest volume, not very loud. The produced sound is reasonable but with the serious lack of volume, they become useless for many consumers.
Overall, the Viewsonic VX2235wm is an excellent 22in widescreen monitor at a very decent price. It is hard not to be impressed with the overall picture quality but the integrated speakers leave a lot to be desired. When it comes to value for money, we have no problem recommending this unit.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- Dell's monstrous 70-inch touchscreen monitor takes aim at Microsoft's Surface Hub
- Dell's 4-screen multimonitor setup looks like one enormous 43-inch display
- R.I.P. VGA: Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1080 dumps analog support, following Intel and AMD's lead
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst -Change and SAP ProcurementNSW
- CCProgram Manager - Data InsightVIC
- CCNetwork Design Specialist - TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTScrum Master | High Profile FintechNSW
- CCLAN ConsultantWA
- CCFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- FTCertification and Accreditation Security ConsultantACT
- FTNetApp Storage ConsultantWA
- CCBusiness Analyst - Telecom ProjectNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager - DCR ProjectNSW
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCData Analyst | Data Feeds | Catalogue and MapNSW
- CCService Desk analystSA
- CCVideo Conference Support Officer- VoIP, LAN, WAN, RemedyNSW
- FTLinux Systems AdministratorNZ
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTCustomer Solutions Engineer | Voice | Data | TelcoNSW
- CCSolutions ArchitectACT
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- FTTechnical Support Engineer | Cloud | Automation techsNSW
- FTDesktop/Application SupportVIC
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- FTIT Pre-Sales EngineerSA