ViewSonic VX2237wm LCD monitor
ViewSonic's VX2237wm is reasonably good value for money and possesses a stylish design
- Good value, stylish design, matte screen, crisp and accurate colours, good brightness
- Speakers aren't great, stand isn't height adjustable, no HDMI, not Full HD
The ViewSonic VX2237wm LCD monitor is good value at this price, but only if you're looking for a very basic screen for use with a desktop PC.
Price$ 269.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- Lozza SL 2237V Sunglasses 0568 158.95
ViewSonic's VX2237wm is a basic, 22in widescreen LCD monitor that has a sub-Full HD resolution. Despite the lack of wow factor, the ViewSonic VX2237wm is reasonably good value for money and possesses a stylish design.
The ViewSonic VX2237wm has a thin, glossy black bezel, a bright blue LED power button and an oddly shaped base. The bezel is attractive but attracts fingerprints and smudges. It also reflects light in a standard office environment, which becomes annoying during prolonged use. Thankfully, the screen itself has a matte finish, as does the rear of the monitor.
The VX2237wm's stand matches the monitor's unconventional looks but provides only limited tilt adjustability — you can't swivel or adjust the height of the screen. It securely clicks into place though, and it doesn’t rattle or wobble if bumped. We aren’t normally a fan of side-mounted controls, but ViewSonic has included labels on the front (1, up, down and 2), making the on-screen display (OSD) easy to navigate. The buttons themselves could have been raised further though; you almost have to reach your finger around the edge of the screen to press them.
The ViewSonic VX2237wm LCD monitor isn’t Full HD and doesn’t have HDMI connectivity, so it's been designed purely for desktop PC use. It has a native resolution of 1680x1050 and includes VGA and DVI inputs, as well as a pair of speakers. Like most monitors, if you're looking for quality sound then it's best to purchase a set of external speakers — the 2 Watt speakers have a distinct lack of bass and aren't recommended for music listening.
Though not designed for gaming, the VX2237wm handles motion quite well, with no sign of lag or ghosting during movies or videos. The strength of the ViewSonic VX2237wm is its colours, which are bright and clear. The OSD includes basic image adjustments, but there is a lack of advanced options. There are no colour presets included but you can adjust the colours yourself.
In our DisplayMate tests, the VX2237 performed admirably but didn't distinguish darker shades as well as we would have liked. Another issue is visible backlight bleeding, which is evident on all sides of the monitor.
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 2 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 3 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Dell's monstrous 70-inch touchscreen monitor takes aim at Microsoft's Surface Hub
- Dell's 4-screen multimonitor setup looks like one enormous 43-inch display
- R.I.P. VGA: Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1080 dumps analog support, following Intel and AMD's lead
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTJunior Web DeveloperSA
- FTTechnical Services ManagerACT
- FTBusiness Analyst - Oracle Financials (Procure To Pay)NSW
- CCProject/ Program AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Systems AnalystACT
- CCEnvironment Manager - POSVIC
- FTTechnical COE SpecialistACT
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSAP Solution Architect- Data Migration to SAP HR, payrollNSW
- FTAppian Developer/ArchitectVIC
- CCIT Finance Systems Process AnalystNSW
- CCSolution Architect / Designer - Cyber SecurityNSW
- CCContract Programmer (IT Security/Website Admin) 160617/P/564Asia
- FTEnterprise Technology Platform ManagerVIC
- CCSecurity Solution ArchitectQLD
- CC.net DeveloperACT
- CCSenior Solutions Architect - Marketing and Distribution systemsNSW
- FTFront End .Net Developer (.Net / Angular / Bootstrap)NSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160628/P/133Asia
- CCArchitect (AWS)NSW
- CCDevOps /Systems AdministratorQLD
- CCScrum MasterNSW
- CCImplementation ManagerNSW
- FTDatabase DeveloperACT
- FTNV2 Defence Project ManagerACT