Viewsonic VX2245wm ViewDock
- Excellent image quality, Built-in iPod dock, Dual PC support, Attractive design
- Poor speakers
The Viewsonic VX2245wm is an excellent 22 inch widescreen monitor at a very decent price, but is let down by its poor integrated speakers.
Price$ 749.00 (AUD)
The VX2245wm is a 22in widescreen LCD monitor with a native resolution of 1680x1050 pixels. An identical panel to the VX2235wm, this unit is set apart by the inclusion of an iPod dock, USB ports and memory card readers which are built-in to the base of the stand. During our testing we found no problems at all when it comes to image quality and were quite impressed in that regard, though the integrated speakers were rather average. However, when you take the price into consideration, this attractive unit is easily one of the best value-for-money buys on the market.
The most striking feature of this model is the integrated iPod Dock. In addition to the dock, the stand also has three USB ports along the front of the base and memory card slots on the right hand side, supporting SD, MMC, MS, MS-PRO, SM, CF (types I and II) and Micro Driver memory types. The iPod dock works well and comes with a number of interchangeable cradles to suit whichever iPod model you own. The best feature about the dock is that it can be used even when your computer is switched off. The base of the monitor has its own power supply so if the computer is switched off all you need to do is put your iPod in the dock and turn on the power for the base. Unfortunately, the independent power supply also means that the USB ports and memory card slots only work when power is attached.
We put the Viewsonic through its paces using DisplayMate Video Edition at a resolution of 1680x1050 pixels. DisplayMate has a multitude of test images that are designed to push a monitor to its limits and reveal any inherent flaws. The Geometry and Distortion tests were executed perfectly and the Sharpness and Resolution tests showed no signs of distortion in either the vertical or horizontal axis. The Colour and Greyscale tests were equally impressive with no signs of noise or image aberrations and the uniformity tests were flawless.
The horizontal viewing angle displayed no colour shift, where colours distort or invert, for 170 degrees, and the vertical viewing angle was also excellent at 160 degrees. However, it should be noted that the panel is fixed to the stand and there are no options that allow you to tilt the screen. Should you need to mount the unit higher than eye level you will experience a small amount of colour shift at the top of the screen. This is to be expected with any monitor, but unlike most monitors on the market this unit cannot be tilted to compensate for the colour.
The VX2245wm had no backlight bleeding and the colour reproduction was superb without any over-saturation. We conducted speed and gaming tests to check for ghosting and to ensure its reported 5ms response time was accurate. We found no ghosting to speak of or anything that would indicate anything less than excellent performance all round.
Similar to the current trend in LCD televisions, the Viewsonic has a piano black bezel and stand. This is broken up by a single metallic silver stripe finish down the middle of the stand. Below the bezel are two five watt speakers hidden behind a grill and both DVI-D and VGA connections can be found at the rear. The VX2245wm can accept both DVI-D and VGA D-Sub inputs at the same time from two sources, with a switching button that allows the user to change between each simply and easily. PC and notebook users will appreciate this handy feature.
The calibration options are comprehensive and offer more than just the standard brightness, contrast and colour controls. In addition to these basic options there are also more specific colour calibration tools that change the colour temperature or choose a specific colour space to suit your needs. There are also automated colour management systems and seven preset colour modes.
Unfortunately, this unit fails miserably in the sound department. The included speakers are sub-standard and even though they can produce a little more volume than the VX2235wm, the audio ends up sounding severely muffled. The produced sound lacks fidelity in the mid tones and treble registers, and despite having an integrated sub-woofer in the stand the bass is also rather muddy.
The Viewsonic VX2245wm is an excellent 22 inch widescreen monitor at a very decent price. It is hard not to be impressed with the overall picture quality and the iPod integration but the speakers leave a lot to be desired. Despite its sound problems, we have no problem recommending this unit.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- Dell's monstrous 70-inch touchscreen monitor takes aim at Microsoft's Surface Hub
- Dell's 4-screen multimonitor setup looks like one enormous 43-inch display
- R.I.P. VGA: Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1080 dumps analog support, following Intel and AMD's lead
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCContract Web Developer (160915/WD/vmp)Asia
- FTIT Pre-Sales EngineerSA
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- FTNetwork and Security Design EngineerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Telecom ProjectNSW
- FTTeam Leader Full Stack, Python, FinanceNSW
- FTEMC Storage ConsultantWA
- CCSenior Infrastrcture Project ManagerACT
- FTScrum Master | High Profile FintechNSW
- CCBI Reporting AnalystACT
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- CCService Desk analystSA
- CCNetwork and Security EngineerNSW
- CCIT Security ArchitectACT
- CCLAN ConsultantWA
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (IT Security) 160928/JP/653Asia
- CCNetwork Design Specialist - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCICT Security AuditorACT
- CCBusiness Analyst with change management experienceACT
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- FTBackup ConsultantWA
- FTTest SpecialistSA
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW