Virgin Mobile VMX mobile phone
Virgin's VMX is one of the cheapest mobile phones on the market with 3G connectivity
- Cheap, compact and well-built, decent features list, 3.5mm headphone jack
- Small keypad and controls, poor display
The Virgin Mobile VMX doesn't offer anything to get excited about, but its budget price makes it a bargain buy -- provided you can handle the mediocre display.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
Retailing for $99, Virgin Mobile's VMX mobile phone is one of the cheapest 3G-capable phones on the Australian market. It's manufactured by Huawei but has Virgin Mobile branding and is sold through the telco's store. The VMX has plenty of shortcomings, but it's hard to argue with its cheap as chips price.
The Virgin Mobile VMX is surprisingly sturdy and feels well built despite its small size. Its matte black design with bright orange sides is rather attractive, and the non-glossy surface means it copes with fingerprints.
The controls of the Virgin Mobile VMX mobile phone are straightforward but far too small. The keypad is particularly troublesome — the keys are easy enough to press, but because they are so small it's easy to accidentally press the wrong one. The five-way navigational pad, selection buttons and shortcut keys aren't much better — in particular, the selection keys are annoyingly close to the edge of the navigational pad.
The display of the Virgin Mobile VMX is perhaps the worst aspect of this mobile phone. It's clear and reasonably sharp, but the viewing angles are among the worst we've seen on a mobile phone. Its performance in direct sunlight is also poor; you'll find yourself shielding the display with your hand when outdoors just to check the time on the home screen.
Provided you can get past the poor display and small controls, there is actually quite a bit to like about the Virgin Mobile VMX. The menu system is straightforward and clearly labelled, there is no keystroke lag when messaging and the mobile Web browser is capable though not outstanding. The VMX also handles basic e-mail accounts, including Gmail, Hotmail and Yahoo.
We were surprised by the VMX's multimedia capabilities. For the $99 asking price the VMX comes with an impressive music player, as well as a 3.5mm headphone jack, an FM radio and a microSD card slot for extra storage. This makes it a capable phone for handling music and puts some more expensive devices — particularly those without a standard 3.5mm headphone jack — to shame.
Other features include a basic 2-megapixel camera and video recorder as well as a range of PIM functions (alarms, calendar, memo, calculator, unit and currency converters and a stopwatch). Virgin Mobile rates the VMX's battery life at up to 3.5 hours of talk time and 350 hours of standby time.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Motorola Moto X Style review: A no compromise flagship
- 2 Oppo R7 Plus review: a stellar sub-$600 phablet
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7) 4G review: Samsung does a lot more with a lot less
- 4 Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) review: Is it worth an extra $100?
- 5 Jawbone UP3 review: 3 months with Jawbone's best fitness tracker
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Acer launches four Chrome devices under $400
- Vodafone: International roaming rates slashed to $1 per minute for 200 countries
- Apple denies tracking iPhone users, but promises changes
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC