Virgin Mobile VMX mobile phone
Virgin's VMX is one of the cheapest mobile phones on the market with 3G connectivity
- Cheap, compact and well-built, decent features list, 3.5mm headphone jack
- Small keypad and controls, poor display
The Virgin Mobile VMX doesn't offer anything to get excited about, but its budget price makes it a bargain buy -- provided you can handle the mediocre display.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
Retailing for $99, Virgin Mobile's VMX mobile phone is one of the cheapest 3G-capable phones on the Australian market. It's manufactured by Huawei but has Virgin Mobile branding and is sold through the telco's store. The VMX has plenty of shortcomings, but it's hard to argue with its cheap as chips price.
The Virgin Mobile VMX is surprisingly sturdy and feels well built despite its small size. Its matte black design with bright orange sides is rather attractive, and the non-glossy surface means it copes with fingerprints.
The controls of the Virgin Mobile VMX mobile phone are straightforward but far too small. The keypad is particularly troublesome — the keys are easy enough to press, but because they are so small it's easy to accidentally press the wrong one. The five-way navigational pad, selection buttons and shortcut keys aren't much better — in particular, the selection keys are annoyingly close to the edge of the navigational pad.
The display of the Virgin Mobile VMX is perhaps the worst aspect of this mobile phone. It's clear and reasonably sharp, but the viewing angles are among the worst we've seen on a mobile phone. Its performance in direct sunlight is also poor; you'll find yourself shielding the display with your hand when outdoors just to check the time on the home screen.
Provided you can get past the poor display and small controls, there is actually quite a bit to like about the Virgin Mobile VMX. The menu system is straightforward and clearly labelled, there is no keystroke lag when messaging and the mobile Web browser is capable though not outstanding. The VMX also handles basic e-mail accounts, including Gmail, Hotmail and Yahoo.
We were surprised by the VMX's multimedia capabilities. For the $99 asking price the VMX comes with an impressive music player, as well as a 3.5mm headphone jack, an FM radio and a microSD card slot for extra storage. This makes it a capable phone for handling music and puts some more expensive devices — particularly those without a standard 3.5mm headphone jack — to shame.
Other features include a basic 2-megapixel camera and video recorder as well as a range of PIM functions (alarms, calendar, memo, calculator, unit and currency converters and a stopwatch). Virgin Mobile rates the VMX's battery life at up to 3.5 hours of talk time and 350 hours of standby time.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 4 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Latest News Articles
- Judge paves the way for British hacker's extradition to US
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCFunctional Consultant - MS Dynamics AXQLD
- FTDesktop Support EngineerWA
- CCSenior Procurement SpecialistVIC
- TPiOS Developer | Tech Start-UpNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Manufacturing ConsultantACT
- CCQuality Assurance LeadNSW
- CCPHP DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Windows Server) 161031/AP/962Asia
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Finance ConsultantVIC
- FTMid to senior Java Software EngineerNSW
- FTDirector Data AnalyticsACT
- CCTechnical Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectNSW
- FTBI Developer-Micro-strategyNSW
- CCNetwork DesignerVIC
- CCContract Junior Programmer (PC LAN Support) 161028/JP/203Asia
- CCSenior Change AnalystNSW
- CCProject AnalystVIC
- FTBI Analyst - Data and FraudNSW
- FTWebSphere MQ Application SupportVIC
- FTSolution Architect with end user computing (EUC) experienceNSW
- CCSystems Engineer - NetApp, Exchange, ADNSW
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - Data Migration - Financial ServicesNSW
- FTScrum MasterNSW
- CCWindows EngineerACT