Vizio P50 HDM
Cheap plasma panel
- Low price, easy to set up
- No NTSC or ATSC tuner, image quality could be better
Vizio's 50-inch P50 HDM plasma HDTV monitor doesn't require the same cash outlay as a full-fledged plasma HDTV. However, you might be able to find products at a similar price point that deliver better picture.
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
The first thing to understand about the Vizio 50-inch P50 HDM is that it's a plasma HD monitor, not a full-fledged plasma HDTV. This means that it forgoes an analog NTSC tuner and a digital ATSC tuner, instead requiring an external tuner to display any kind of TV content. The P50 HDM costs considerably less than an actual HDTV. However, PC World (US) has found better image quality in another plasma HDTV monitor at the same cost.
Our jury found the Vizio's image quality adequate on high-definition and standard-definition TV content, with a few caveats. Colour looked good, but the P50 HDM's picture appeared dark and lacking in detail on both high-def and standard-def content. These problems became even more apparent on our DVD test of a shady scene in The Lord of the Ring: The Return of the King. Though it wasn't unwatchable, we've seen better performance from other plasmas.
The P50 HDM's strength lies in its ease of use. Like Vizio's L32HDTV LCD TV, the P50 HDM comes with a setup poster as well as a very detailed manual. Colour-coding makes it easy to match inputs to the poster. Finding the inputs on the back of the monitor is a snap, but plugging devices into them is a bit awkward. The inputs face down, so you have to feel for them when inserting connectors. The monitor also lacks a CableCard slot, which would be handy.
The glossy black P50 HDM looks attractive. I found the remote control comfortable and its layout easy to navigate. The onscreen menus were easy to master, too. The picture-in-picture function was especially simple to use, and it's flexible to boot: You can set the PIP window in four different positions and three sizes.
To my ears, audio sounded fine (but not fantastic) coming through the built-in speakers with SRS TruSurround XT. The P50 HDM offers one RCA audio output, but no digital audio output.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Vizio’s latest 4K TVs make eye-popping HDR more affordable
- Netflix flips the switch on eye-popping HDR video streaming
- Sony’s pricey Ultra video-streaming service goes live today, but you'll need a new high-end 4K Sony TV to use it
- Foxconn to pay over $US6bn for a majority stake in Sharp
- LG releases first flat screen OLED TV in Australia
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCBusiness Analyst - ICT SecurityNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- CCProduct SpecialistVIC
- CCIT Program Delivery Office Lead- Government BackgroundNSW
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- FTTechnical Lead (Guidewire Policy Center)NSW
- FTSupplier Relationship ManagerVIC
- CCWeb Content Developer- Angular, PHP, interface backgroundNSW
- FTDigital Project ManagerVIC
- FTNetwork ConsultantNSW
- CCContract IT Assistant (Network & System Mgt.) 160509/ITA/281Asia
- CCWindows Server EngineerNSW
- CCLead Administrator - Network and SecurityNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/HTML/SQL) 160421/P/903Asia
- CCAccount Manager - Software Solutions - Global IT CompanyNSW
- CCMarketing Communications Specialist - Global IT CompanyNSW
- CCSenior Oracle DBA- Part time 20 hoursWA
- CCInfrastructure Engineer - Windows, VMWare, HyperVWA
- FTSenior Project Manager, SoftwareNSW
- CCSr. Iteration ManagerVIC
- FTChange Lead- DigitalVIC
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- CCHyperion ConsultantNSW
- CCSenior UX/UI DesignerNSW
- CCInfra Project Manager-Data Center, Cloud, Storage, NetworkNSW