Vodafone K3571-Z mobile broadband modem
Vodafone's 'USB stick' mobile broadband modem is basic but cheap
- Plug and play, easy-to-use software
- No microSD card slot, no rotating hinge, download speed limited to a maximum of 3.2Mbps
Vodafone's K3571-Z 'USB stick' is an easy-to-use, low cost mobile broadband modem. However, it doesn't have any advanced features and only supports download speeds of up to 3.2Mbps.
Price$ 49.00 (AUD)
Vodafone's latest USB mobile broadband modem offers plug-and-play operation for Windows and Mac computers. The Vodafone K3571-Z USB stick works as advertised but lacks any nifty extra features and it only supports download speeds of up to 3.2 megabits per second (Mbps).
The Vodafone K3571-Z finished in a reasonably attractive, lightweight, white plastic. The K3571-Z USB stick is as basic as they come; it lacks a microSD card slot that would allow it to double as a portable flash drive, and it also doesn't have a rotating USB connector to reduce the risk of bumping it when connected to your notebook. It also lacks an external antenna port, a feature seen on some Telstra mobile broadband modems.
While the modem is relatively slim, it still prevented access to the second USB port on our 13in MacBook Pro. On larger notebooks this shouldn't be a problem though and is more of a fault on Apple's part than ZTE, the manufacturer of the K3571-Z. Once plugged in, a single LED on the modem notifies you of data status.
The software required to use the Vodafone mobile broadband service is stored on the modem itself and is compatible with both Windows and Mac OS X computers. The software is easy to install and allows you to quickly access your prepaid account details and see sent and received data. The software also provides links to Vodafone's Web site, where you can manage your account and check your current balance.
The Vodafone K3571-Z USB stick has a maximum download speed of 3.6Mbps and a maximum upload speed of 1.3Mbps, which is slower than the older Vodafone Mobile Connect USB Internet Stick. Vodafone claims the K3571-Z will provide typical real-world speeds of between 550 kilobits per second (Kbps) and 2Mbps, but as with all mobile broadband devices the actual speed achieved will depend on a number of factors such as your location and equipment, network usage and coverage, and network congestion at the time.
Using our Broadband Speed Test, the K3571-Z USB modem managed to achieve download speeds of up to 3Mbps, but regularly downloaded at around 1.8Mbps. Upload speeds were stable at around 600Kbps, but did occasionally rise over 1Mbps.
Vodafone sells the K3571-Z USB modem for $49 and includes 3GB of data in the starter pack (valid for 30 days). Alternatively, users can pay $99 up front and receive 6GB of data that is valid for three months. For information on Vodafone recharge packages, see Vodafone's Web site.
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Google Nexus 6P review: An outstanding multimedia machine
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Why TPG left Optus for Vodafone
- Sky Muster takes the nbn into space (+27 photos)
- Foxtel more than doubles broadband data allowances
- Optus discounts unlimited Internet bundles, available from $95 a month
- Cisco releases VNI for 2014-2019
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTAnalyst: Business Intelligence & AnalyticsVIC
- FTIT Security Governance ManagerNSW
- CCHybris Developer - Global ConsultancyNSW
- FTSenior C# .NET Developer (Focus WCF, MVC)VIC
- CCOpen_5pm 5th February_Program ArchitectACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst - IT SecurityNSW
- FTProgram ManagerNSW
- CCTechnical Lead - .NET TechnologiesACT
- FTFront End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamNSW
- FT.NET Tech LeadVIC
- CCInformatica ExpertNSW
- FTIT Technical LeadVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - BaselineACT
- CCJava DeveloperVIC
- FTAxway API DeveloperNSW
- FTNetwork Engineer | NV2 clearance | Defence projects | Immediate interviewACT
- CCContract System Analyst (Network & System Mgt.) 160205/SA/561Asia
- CCTest ManagerQLD
- FTPrograme ManagerNSW
- CCSAP Test ManagerSA
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Online Gaming SystemsNSW
- FTSenior Linux Sys AdminNSW
- CCContracts ManagerNSW
- CCSharepoint AdministratorVIC
- CCIT Hadoop DevelopersQLD